How do I rename an application?Support

1. Hype

Hype New Member

I saw a couple of screenshots where people were renaming applications, I'm not sure what to put in the search box as I get nothing but randomness and nothing to the related subject.. Some people that submit applications don't see it necessary to properly capitalize something or just plain out all lowercase and I'm pretty anal when it comes to such things, how am I able to do this?

I figured this was the right area to post this in considering I need some support on how to do this, if I was wrong then I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong section.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Hype

Hype New Member

I waited a couple days but I think the topic needs a bump so more people can see it, if anyone could tell me how to rename applications that would be great.
  3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

To my Knowledge that is not possible ... I think it is part of the the app's signature process ... and is a security issue ...
  4. justjimjpc

The Market search engine is quite simple in nature ....

so if enter the minimum search text to get the broadest of hits ...

the search looks at names and the info (program descriptions) for word or txt matches ....

So if you see a discussion on say "my way home with gps" .. dont even try to search with that ... simply try like "gps" (of course without the quotes !!!
  5. Hype

Hype New Member

Heh, sorry justjimjpc... I ment the search box on the forums for the answer I'm looking for. I saw a screenshot of another person who had renamed their applications on the phone, just wasn't sure how they had accomplished this is all. I'll try to find a screen-shot of what I am talking about.
  6. justjimjpc

I know one developer that changed the Name of his App.

The Current app Name is "ASTRO" ... original name was "BENDER"

I dont know if this is the kind of thing you are trying to find out??
  7. justjimjpc

??? ... and your reason for saying that ???
  8. justjimjpc

LOL ... I have no idea :confused: about the reference above ...

I was being serious in my post to the OP ... :D
  9. x-member

x-member New Member

download super app manager from market
  10. zdzdz

zdzdz New Member

After a lot of trying I found a way to change the name of already installed applications on android OS. Tested on Galaxy S2 with Gingerbread 2.3.4

1. The most important thing is that your phone is rooted. You'll need to access your system files.

2. You'll need an app called SU File Manager & Terminal. Install. It will ask for super user rights. Allow.

3. Open app and go to folder: data/app/

4. There search for the apk of the application which name you want to change.

5. Click on it and hold until menu pops up. Choose Copy.

6. Now go to folder: mnt/sdcard/ (This folder is My files folder, visible when connected to PC). When you go to this folder press options key on the phone and choose Paste.

Now you have the .apk file that is needed to be chanaged. Tranasfer it to PC.

7. To edit this file you'll need Apk Manager. After extracting the downloaded archive to any folder, you'll have six new folders there. Put your apk file in "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder.

8. Run Script.bat

You'll see at the bottom message: 'Please make your decision:"
    - first choose 22 to select project. Then 1 to choose project
    - type 9 to decompile the apk
    - once the apk is decompiled you'll find the extracted files in the projects folder. Go there. You need to change AndroidManifest.xml.
    - Open it with notepad.
    - You need to change the value of "android:label" string to the desired name.
    -Save.
    - Go back to Script.bat and select 11 to compile
    - When it asks answer y for system apk and copying additional files. Follow instructions.
    - You'll have new file in "place-apk-here-for-modding" and it will be unsigned.
    - To sign choose 12 in script.bat

That's it you have new signed file. Rename to match the original apk. After that just replace it in data/app/ with SU File Manager & Terminal.

Reboot phone.