1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

How do I restore factory settingsSupport

1. android666999

android666999 Member

How do I restore my phone to factory settings? I have a broken screen and can't see what I'm doin... I thought that I might be able to do it through the computer but when I connect with USB nothing happens. Please help!

Advertisement
  2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset :D

(My bad... you have no screen... sorry)
  3. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

As you can not see your screen and nothing works via USB, a 15 second visit to the microwave will do it.

I woiuld cover it with a paper towel to keep it from making a mess.
  4. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Are you sure its your screen thats gone, and its not a duff battery?
    the device must be on of course for the PC to detect it.
    it may also be worth trying to give it a soft+hard reset first
  5. ironass

What do you hope to achieve with a factory reset? :confused:
  6. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

With factory reset, it would become a "brand new phone with factory settings" meaning everything would work like fresh out of the box. LOL :D

Maybe he rooted the phone and want to make sure the phone is in factory settings such that the warrantee isn't voided.
  7. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

What ironass is referring to, is if the screen is fubar, then a factory reset will be about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
  8. ironass

A Factory data reset won't restore a rooted phone to an unrooted state. It will still show rooted kernel and firmware... which is why I was asking. ;)
  9. Russell Ng

Shows what I know about rooting... which is close to zero (Don't root myself).

Maybe factory reset can delete some of Android666999 sensitive files / apps? Won't know. The only person that can clear this up would be Android666999.

And Hawker, I know that if the screen is toast, factory reset won't do jack shit. I was being sarcastic. Doesn't mean he don't have a reason for wanting that factory reset.

And Android666999, apologies for hijacking your thread. Seriously. :D
  10. greggebhardt

Hmmmmm.:confused:

I thought when the OP said " I have a broken screen and can't see what I'm doin... " that the screen was broken and he can't see what he/she is doin...:eek:
  11. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Precisely butty! :)

Hence my reason for my first post in this thread.
  12. android666999

android666999 Member

hey guys sorry lol.. so yes i want to delete everything back to factory settings because i am selling it.. then the person im selling it too is going to replace the screen.. once they replace the screen they will be able to see my email and banking.. as well as pictures from some lady friends haha
  13. semus

semus Well-Known Member

ahh, everything makes sense now...
  14. Russell Ng

See... I told you there were some stuff he wanted to get rid off :D

Even if its not the kernel... etc.
  15. greggebhardt

Just as I thought, his screen was physically broken.:p
  16. android666999

android666999 Member

so im guessing theres no way to clear my phone? with my iphone i could at least go on the computer and restore the phone or erase it. When i plug my Samsung in nothing happens
  17. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Pull the battery. Replace the battery and press and hold the HOME and POWER buttons for 10 seconds. That will hard reset your phone but will NOT wipe out your sd partition files. With no screen feedback it will hard to even know if it worked because (I don't think) you can mount an unregistered phone using kies.
  18. nubreed000

nubreed000 Member

So if I select Factory Data Reset on my phone, EVERYTHING will be wiped out, correct? I bought this phone off somebody else and even though he claimed its brand new I noticed there's stuff installed on there that probably shouldn't be. I wanna do a complete format and return it to the state it would be in, if I purchased it brand new.

Also...if I do this...will my apps automatically reinstall themselves the moment I go back online on my phone? Cause if so then that's gonna demolish my data package. Same question for my contacts, since they're synched with Google...
  19. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If you factory data reset your phone, it will deregister the phone, delete user account data and remove app data from system apps. If there were apps placed on the system partition, it will not get rid of them, only delete any user data associated with them. To get any questionable apps off, you will need to root or reflash the phone. Before you do that could you list the apps? they may just be odd carrier apps that you don't recognize, but are benign.

As to the apps and contacts, both will sync back to the phone, but i don't think apps will install themselves until you give them permission. Contacts will, but they shouldn't consume a huge amount of bandwidth.