Support How Do I "Restore" the Phone to Factory Settings?

1. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Hi guys.
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S II a while ago and it is a beautiful phone, but I have had some pretty annoying problems, and therefore I would like to "restore" the phone to factory settings.

• 3G never seems to be enabled regardless of how many times I configure the APN.
    • KIES used to work fine but now it always "takes too long to respond" whenever I try to access it via URL.
    • Sometimes the battery dies too fast (but I found a thread for that!).
    Please keep in mind I'm REALLY new to the world of Android, so I don't know the "lingo" of this nice world yet ("rooting", etc..). I have looked for a way to restore my phone but everything is a bit confusing, particularly because of these "big words". Can someone tell me how can I restore my phone to factory settings?

As an additional question, is there a way to see all the apps I have purchased/downloaded from the MarketPlace? Just so I can redownload them again. I don't want to do a full backup of the phone since I don't have much important stuff on it, so I would rather leave it in clean state and reinstall the apps manually.

Advertisement
  2. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

recovery mode - turn off phone then press vol up+home+power to boot into recovery mode. scroll down to factory reset

marketplace will still remember your apps
  3. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Perfect. Hope this solves all my issues. Thanks a lot for your answer.
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Just for completeness, you can avoid the recovery reboot by going to Settings/Privacy/Factory data reset.
  5. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually ended up resetting in three different ways. I checked the tips and what finally fixed all my issues (most?, haven't played with all of them yet), was to dial a number I saw in the Tips and Tricks thread.

Now where can I see all the apps I have downloaded with my Google account? I don't remember everything I had heh.
  6. sam142000

sam142000 Well-Known Member

7. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

For some reason, none of my apps where there... But I have everything sorted out now.
    Thanks everyone for the help :)!
  8. Pete71

Pete71 Active Member

I think Android Market only remembers the Apps you've purchased. It doesn't remember the free apps. (Shame really)
  9. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Haha seriously? That really explains why I haven't seen ONE app I have downloaded. All of them are free.
  10. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

nope, android market lists every single app i've installed, free and paid
  11. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Well this is beyond weird. It should register apps you downloaded via the Market App in the phone, right? At any rate, I have 3 Google Accounts, and I checked all of them just to be sure... None of them are showing my apps.

... Scratch that, sort off. I see apps now, but those are the ones I just purchased (EDIT: Downloaded for Free I mean). It's not showing the ones I purchased before I restored the phone.

The other apps are not important, but this really makes me wonder.
  12. lobo76

lobo76 Well-Known Member

well, you can create a appbrain account, and install the app on your phone. That definitely keeps track of your apps.
  13. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Try factory-resetting the handset and then logging-in to the Market. You'll only see purchased apps in that case - there's no way to keep track of free installs across wipes.

This is weird. Purchases are tied to your Google account so they should be listed. Go to your Google Checkout account - are they shown there?
  14. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

I didn't set up the Google Checkout service. I logged in to check, but it showed me a registration form so I doubt I will be able to see them there.
  15. TheBundo

TheBundo Active Member

Try using AppBrain before a reset or replacement phone, actually, use regularily along with a backup program like MyBackup Pro