• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] How Do I Root MY Evo 3D :'( PLEASE HELP

pand0ra

Lurker
Aug 13, 2011
I have Sprint CDMA Evo 3D NOT ROOTED
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.58.0000
eMMC-boot
Software Version: 2.95.651.6 710RD

I have been stressing for hours trying to figure this out!
I tried following a tutorial to root the phone and I get stuck trying to unlock the bootloader following htcdev.
After I enter the commands I do not get a dialog on my phone screen asking to unlock bootloader. After googling the issue i found that many people have this problem and running the RUU will fix the problem. I ran the 2.89.651.2 RUU and it failed saying that I have the wrong RUU. The problem is There is no RUU for my current version. I googled this problem as well and barley found answers, the answers I did find said I had to downgrade to 2.89.651.2 I had no idea how to do this and when i looked up how to do it I found an answer that said running the RUU while in temproot state will work (which i tried and got the same outcome as before) I found another answer that said I have to install a recovery and then flash a file that would lower my version and allow me to RUU. I got the img file for the recovery and put it in PG86IMG.zip and put that on my sd card and when i went into hboot it says checking PG86IMG.zip but then it just goes back to the regular hboot screen. Then i looked up an ADB method to flash recovery, I put the img with my fastboot and ran the commands and ended with

C:\Users\Yianni\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platf
stboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (6914 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.787s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 3.759s

Now im lost
Breakdown:
Im trying to root
I need to unlock bootloader first
I need to RUU before I unlock bootloader but i cant without downgrading
I cant successfully downgrade
shit
Any help is greatly appreciated

I've not used temp root so I'm not familiar with it but the 2.89.651.2 RUU does contain hboot 1.58.0000.

So from the information Scotty provided we can probably get through this. While in a temp root (not sure where custom recovery happens in this method) flash this zip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xq47p3syzuz5en/SetMainVersionLOW.zip to lower your main version.

Then as Scotty said, you should be able to RUU. Once that happens, you should be able to unlock the bootloader.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
unfortunately,we wont be able to install a recovery with a temp root,well have to use a few commands to change the main version.

sorry,i havent forgot about you,but havent had much luck trying to find a means of temp root. srsroot has a website with a download installer. if thats something your willing to try,ill try and get some directions and links up this evening.

SRSRoot One Click Root for Android (SuperUser)

be aware its not likely to install a working superuser,but should provide a root shell for adb to change the main version :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
ok,here are the words of wraith,basically what well be doing:
i used SRSroot, it was supposed to perm root the phone but it didn't work exactly right.

what i did:

1. Run SRSroot
2. SmartRoot
3. follow directions up till it reboots the phone
4. the phone should start up but the only thing showing will be the status bar at the top
5. close SRSroot
6. Open Command prompt and start adb shell, it should give you a # at this point
7. follow scottys instructions to set mainver

so basically,youre going to download srs root from the link in the above post,since the xda thread has been closed. follow the first 6 steps. then you get to step 7,the directions to change main version are these:
use the download(miniadb_inc2) from the link above(http://androidforums.com/incredible...y-downgrade-firmware-build-6-01-605-05-a.html). then use these commands:

md5sums misc_version should return 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de

adb devices should return your phones serial number. indicating drivers are working,and youre connected.

adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version

adb shell should change your prompt to a #if not,have your phone awake and watch the screen to grant superuser permissions when you enter su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version *have your phone awake and be watching it,incase superuser needs you to grant permission

/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.00.000.0

exit exit again if your promt changes to a $

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices again,this should output your serial number,indicating youre connected and drivers are working

fastboot getvar mainver it should output 1.00.000.0

at that point(assuming the main version changed),you can run the 2.89 ruu. afterward,you should be able to htcdev unlock.

if you want to s off,then you can install a custom rom with an insecure kernel,and try running rumrunner to get s off :D

just holler if you have questions :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones