How do I save an "image" of my phone?

Last Updated:

1. mynameisben123

mynameisben123 New Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 6, 2010

I have had my Samsung Galaxy S for about a month now, and have just recently took the plunge and rooted it. I am now seeking a means of backing up my entire phone using a method that will essentially "freeze" my phone's current state, allowing me to restore to this exact state in the future, like an image of my phone. I want all apps, SMS messages, contacts, all settings, everything to be frozen in time as a backup.

I have searched these forums and through Google search results extensively and found a lot of information, most of it regarding Nandroid, Titanium Backup, SPRecovery, ClockworkMod Recovery etc. My understanding is this:

Titanium backup is more of a soft backup, it backs up your apps and settings and allows them to be reapplied.

Nandroid requires the recovery mode to be flashed using ClockworkMod Recovery

SPRecovery can be used instead of ClockworkMod Recovery, but they both have their own pros/cons.

Is there a definitive guide to achieve what I want?

Most of the guides I have read have been tailored to other devices such as the G1, HTC Hero, Droid etc.

TL;DR: I want to make a complete backup of everything on my phone, save it as an image, and be able to restore it later.

Thanks in advance!

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Titanium will be your best bet right now. Clockworkmod is completely broken at the moment, and no one seems interested in fixing it.
  3. charlie101

charlie101 Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Install ROM Manager from the Market. It is very straight forward, I used it to back up my rooted phone before flashing to 2.2.

You can also use it to revert to backed up images too, although I haven't (thankfully) used this.

I also backed up my /efs folder separately, using Android Terminal Emulator.