How do I select UMTS/WCDMA mode only?Support

Last Updated:

1. firebonez

firebonez New Member This Topic's Starter

Well guys I am a newbie to the Android world!!

On my earlier Nokia I used to have three options for the Network Mode under the Phone Settings, viz. , Dual Mode, UMTS, GSM. Since in my area the 3G signal is a bit weak I used to select UMTS only, so that the phone doesn't switch over to 2G automatically.

However, in my android device (GT-I5503) the only option under the Mobile Networks which is anything similar to a Network Mode selection is the Use Only 2G networks checkbox. I believe it disables Dual Mode and allows GSM network only, in the Android device. So Android Gurus and Forum Moderators, do you guys know of any method or software which can select 3G network only!!

Please help me guys as the 3G reception in my network is a bit weak, Android doesn't switch over to 3G!!

Oh and BTW, I'm getting a really good 2G signal. The Signal Bar is 4/4 most of the time!!

Advertisement
  2. paranoid9

paranoid9 New Member

i have a question about the network as well. i'm a galaxy 5 user, and super new to the android and smartphone world.

i'm more interested to use the wifi for internet rather than the edge network. however, if i just use wifi, i cannot receive any mms. any of u know how do i work it out?

send or receive mms, but use wifi for internet, i do not want to use edge for browsing...they keep on deducting my credit in the background as well! any help? thanks in advance.

3. servant_fox

servant_fox New Member

4. andikasuhendar

andikasuhendar Member

for 2.1 (eclair)
    type *#*#4636#*#* on the phone
    choose phone information
    scroll down and choose WCDMA only

for 2.2 (froyo)
    same as above
    but press the button next to home button
    choose radio band
    choose the radio band that can connect to your network, mine using japan band

venkateshsk likes this.