How do I send my map location to someone?

Last Updated:

1. timelessdrifter

timelessdrifter New Member This Topic's Starter

I can't see how I can do this with the apps provided with the phone. Maps doesn't have the option, and from what I can see, neither does Google My Tracks. Any really good GPS apps out there that can do this (and maybe more)? I don't mind shelling out for good tools.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Join Google Latitude, it's a no brainer

3. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

or get Where's my droid

its a security app
    and you can set it so,
    when someone texts you a code ( like 123455)
    they get an automatic reply, of the phones location ( a link that when you click it, opens up your phone on google maps)

so like i have it so that when i loose my phone, i just text myself the code form my brothers phone and i get my phones gps location
    its awsome!

wavesecure also does it i think

4. BOO5TED

BOO5TED Well-Known Member

The Sprint Nav on my Hero lets me do it too.

5. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Google Latitude is a part of Google Maps, just click on 'Join Latitude' from the menu.

6. jmiked

jmiked Active Member

I ran Google Latitude, and I can see my location on the maps, but how does someone else get to see my location? Is any notification sent out, or do they have to have to actively run Latitude to find me?

I'm looking for a program that will automatically send my location to someone by some process that will give them a notification that the info is available.

7. Bob Newhart

Bob Newhart New Member

If you use Handcent SMS and install the location plug-in, Handcent will send a text to who you want with GPS cords.

8. jmiked

jmiked Active Member

I need to send it to someone via email. Nobody I need to notify uses SMS, unfortunately.

9. jp0469

jp0469 Well-Known Member

For your situation, I would recommend Glympse. You can either send a snapshot, which is a link that brings up a map with your location at the moment you sent it or you can send a link that brings up a map that shows your location in near-real time. The real-time links can be set to expire after a set amount of time.

Glympse - Share Your Where

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Your friends need to be on Google Latitude as well, and you "friend" them up there as well. When they open Google Latitude on their phone, they will see a list of friends there, and when they click on your name, they will see the location where you last opened Google Latitude. Its kinda like Foursquare but less mainstream. Not that Foursquare is very mainstream.

11. jmiked

jmiked Active Member

It looks like it's down to Glympse and TrackMe.

I should have gone into more detail about how I'm going to use the program. I go out solo mountain biking and geocaching several times a week, and I end up in some off-the-beaten-path places (otherwise known as "the boonies"). I want my relatives to be able to know where I am in case something happens.

I need something that will call it to their attention that I am out and about, and if they need to, see where I am. So it can't be something completely passive, as Latitude seems to be.

It looks like both Glympse and TrackMe will do that. TrackMe has a slight advantage in that the map doesn't expire after a few hours and disappear. Glymse has a setting for 0, but it's not clear if that means 'don't expire'. If that is what it means, then it will work OK, also.

Thanks for the recommendations. I wish Motion-X would port their programs to Android, then I wouldn't have had the hassle of finding something else.

12. Din1987

Din1987 New Member

Use another application. I like the PickMeUpp from Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdac.pickmeup

Enjoy!! :)