How do I set an MP3 to be my ringtone?General

1. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

I have downloaded an MP3 file on my SD memory into one of my own folders
    I want to set this to be the ringtone

I have WASTED sooo much time trying to figure out how to do this
    It's winding me up :(

The options for changing ringtone seem to be AMAZINGLY limited from the default menus given - I can navigate to the Music Library and choose music that's there (which is so DUMB in itself - the menu button is way down at the bottom - you have no idea it's there unless you scroll all the way down)

Problem: the music file is not in the damn library :(
    And I can't figure out how to get it into the library - I've tried and there seems to be NOTHING you can do JUST using the phone

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

YES: I'm sure you can use the PC Companion program to upload music - but do I really HAVE to launch the program and get the USB cable out (if no Bluetooth from my machine)?

What other ways are there? What applications do I need to set the MP3 as a ringtone? If the answer is to use a 3rd party application to set the ring tone, I think that is amazingly a dumb thing

I'd also add, that before posting here I searched Google for "how to set mp3 as ringtone x10 mini pro" - none of the answers given on the first page helped at all. I'm scratching my head. Am I the first person in the world to have wanted to set an MP3 as a ringtone on an Android phone? I think not. I'm sure the answer is most probably to do with Sony Ericsson screwing the the usability of the phone

Any pointers would be great

Thanks

OM

Advertisement
    :
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

First of all download a file manager - Linda or Astro are good and I have them both as they have their own advantages. Then use this to look at your SD card and find the track you moved over. If you have it in the music file then the phone should be able to see it.

In your Settings>Sound & Display and Set Ringtone scroll right to the bottom of the standard ringtones and there should be a tab for Music Library.
  3. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

rosered: ur awesome
    thanks for the reply
    i found the solution actually a short while ago
    i read on a post relating to something else that u needed to putt he file in the 'music' directory

it now shows up in the library and - as instructed by u above - i can add it as a ringtone

i'm sure millions of others (ok, maybe not millions) have also WASTED time and effort trying to solve the same problem
    WHY make it so dumb like this!!?

are all android phones like this? i.e. you HAVE to store in the music folder?

this is the kind of thing that samsung do: they pay people to make their phones extra silly and have really annoying (unecessary) features or features lacking - sony ericsson are really going downhill imho
  4. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Its the joys of Android I think not just SE it has to have everything ordered and in the right place. But glad you got sorted out eventually.