How do I set MP3s as notifications in other apps?

Last Updated:

1. Reniassance_Man

Reniassance_Man Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Droid since November and I guess I went into autopilot since because I never had a problem doing this. But now that I had to replace my phone, I no longer know how to set any 'ole mp3 file as a notification or ringtone in other programs.

For example, I used to be able to go into the messaging or Google Voice app and from there choose the "select ringtone" and then be given a list of apps I had that let me browse through ALL of my mp3 files. Now when I choose "select ringtone," I'm only able to access the system ringtones and notifications.

So what app do I need to download that'll enable me to browse through all audio files for any app's notifications and ringtones? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

On your sd card there should be these folders: sdcard/media/audio/ringtones and sdcard/media/audio/notifications. If there isn't, create them. Put the sound files in the appropriate folders and they should be included on the list of ringtones/notifications when selecting.

3. Reniassance_Man

Thanks for the tip, but I'm looking for something that doesn't require having to load up sounds into a particular folder. From what I remember, I used to be given an option to use a number of programs that let me choose any mp3 from any location as my ringtone. Since having my first Droid crap out on me, the program landscape has changed and I can't remember which apps allowed me to do this.

4. Reniassance_Man

For anybody interested, I finally found the app that enabled me to do what I needed. It's called Rings Extended and with it, you can apply any sound file as any notification or ringtone.

kokiangel likes this.
  5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Just my two cents, but "Zedge" is my app of choice for this task. :cool:

6. Reniassance_Man

While I like Zedge's system, that app only allows access to files downloaded from that app and not from files downloaded from other apps or already on the phone.