How do I set up groups for texts?Support

Last Updated:

1. ItalianHunk

ItalianHunk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did a search on this and found some posts on it but the wording was a bit different and there didn't seem to be any solutions.

On my Captivate, I have all my contacts synced from my pc's google account. So when I click on Phone, Contacts, all my contacts have the google logo next to the phone number. When I click on Groups, it shows Family, Friends, Google, etc. It has zero contacts in all groups except for 30 contacts in my Google groups. (which is all the contacts I have in my phone.)
    On my friends Captivate, he doesn't have his contacts synced from Google. He goes into his Contacts, Groups and can click on Family or Friends and can add people from his contacts to the Family or Friends group.
    I can't do this cause all my contacts are synced from Google.

Is there a work around for this? Hope I made sense to someone.

Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Understand perfectly, and you've noticed one of the limits of using Google contacts: you can't organize them into groups on the phone, and any groups you've configured in Gmail don't carry over. The Captivate simply groups all your Google/Gmail contacts in a separate group called "Google".

You also can't assign custom ringtones to Google contacts. This is why I keep all my contacts on the phone as native phone contacts and back up via other means.

3. ItalianHunk

ItalianHunk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you. I was hoping that wasn't the case. I'll be doing it the same way as you from now on. :)

4. kbbauman0

kbbauman0 New Member

So what is the best method yall have found for backing up and sycing contacts besides gmail? I am currently using the gmail method; however, as stated above, there are limitations that I do not care for...

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

You can back up using the built-in export to vCard file, or you can use a backup app like Titanium Backup or MyBackup.

See the Captivate FAQ section on "Contacts", near the bottom of the page:

Contacts - CapFAQ