How do I skype from my EVO to my PC?Tips

Last Updated:

1. abear0402

abear0402 New Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone please help me? I want to know if I can skype from my EVO to a PC?? I have tried reading information, but none has helped me. Some have talked about the Fring app, but I can't get it to do what I want. Could someone walk me through the steps, if it is possible. THANK YOU!!

Advertisement
  2. gezzuzz

gezzuzz Well-Known Member

i dont think they support skype anymore

3. dpessing

dpessing Member

I read something yesterday that said Fring took out skype video to make room for iphone to iphone video calling without using their facetoface or whatever it's called app. I am not 100% sure, but I think someone from Fring said they are working on bringing back Skype, so we will have to wait and see.

4. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

You used to be able to use Fring to connect to Skype but there has been some drama between Fring and Skype regarding who is screwing the other one up. Right now I don't know any phone-to-PC way to video chat.

I would love to see a Google Talk addon that lets you use the Gmail Chat video calling option but for now I can just call other Evos and iPhones that have Fring installed. I called my friend's iPhone 4 on Friday to test it and as long as you are both on fast enough connections it works pretty well. Still mostly a novelty but fun.

5. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

You'd think some app programmer would be hard at work to get a phone to pc video chat app up and runnning for evo. People would eat it up.

6. LearnIIBurn

LearnIIBurn Well-Known Member

Can't Qik video chat with computers off of Qiks website?

7. Wifi-Naught Odin

Wifi-Naught Odin Well-Known Member

Op, you didn't specify if you wanted to video chat to your pc or voice chat.

For video with the Evo, right now you're going to have to use 'Qik for HTC EVO 4G' (not to be confused with the universal 'Qik Video' app for all the other Androids)

Qik for HTC EVO 4G
    Qik for HTC EVO 4G Updated Qik Blog

If you would like to make free Evo to pc (or vice-versa) voice calls, there's nothing faster or more polished than Nimbuzz. Nimbuzz will even allow you to reach your skype contacts if you already have a skype account and sync it in the Nimbuzz settings.

Nimbuzz
    Nimbuzz - free calls & IM ! | AndroidApplications.com

keyholeSecrets likes this.
  8. gapoochi

gapoochi Member

when did fringe get rid of skype? I used it yesterday....i hope it's not gone!

9. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

It is. It was posted today all over gizmodo, endgadget etc..

You suck Skype. Make an Android app that works like on the iPhone. :mad:

10. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't like depending on Skype...at least not while they had no client of their own available. Using Fring to connect to Skype was flaky at best. At least Fring to Fring is OK since you can install it on iPhone or Android. Still doesn't let me call desktops though.

11. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i just found out about the whole skype/fring fiasco today. it sucks.

12. Smiles

Smiles Active Member

I haven't done any video with my EVO yet. I have seen the ruckus between Fring and Skype. But I saw in my Fring app the "add-ons" for several services, one if Google Talk. On my GMAIL, I have a video Icon because I set up my PC's web cam to work on it, so I am "assuming" I should be able to video chat to Google Talk from my EVO. I can't really try it because I am travelling and my sole internet connection IS my EVO. I can't video chat to myself on the same devices... I don't believe.
    But my point was to try to address somebody's question from earlier. I think you can EVO video chat to a PC if the PC has gmail with video set up on the gmail account.

13. luis4gevo

luis4gevo Member

i tried to use gmail google talk with video through fring and it said google talk video is not supported. Has anyone been able to use fring with google video chat?

14. jdbyrd

jdbyrd Member

If you're a fring user check your email they just sent out an email saying that they support video calling

15. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

Fring is mobile to mobile, not mobile to desktop. I think most people are looking for a way to video chat mobile to desktop similar to the way Skype did...

16. jdbyrd

jdbyrd Member

10-4...misunderstood

17. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

so for qik, can i video chat with someone w/o a FF camera? like, can i call someone on an incredible, where we can talk, they can see me & i dont see them? or does the video calling thru qik only work evo to evo?

18. erkme73

erkme73 Active Member

The whole skype thing has to do with their exclusivity with Verizon's Droid. The Droid commercials (each one Lucas Film's get's a royalty, I'm sure) says Skype App is exclusive to the Droid. So much for open source...

19. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think the Qik app has to support video calling and only the EVO's does, not sure if the Incredible's or Droid X's does but that WOULD be nice if it did..

20. nyczducky

nyczducky Active Member

When there was Skype connectivity, I made calls to people on Desktops through Skype. That was in the first few days I had the Evo from release date. I couldn't get it to work ever again. Guess it doesn't matter now that they are fighting with each other.

21. gijoe411

gijoe411 Well-Known Member

I got the same error, anyone know why?? From pc to phone.

22. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I was able to do it too the first couple of days I had the phn, then it stopped working correctly and I've been hoping for a replacement solution since. That was actually a selling point to me since I have a child on the way (mobile to pc video calls while I'm at work).