How do I stop Froyo OTA that started downloading?!?

Last Updated:

1. kevro_86

kevro_86 Member This Topic's Starter

HELP!

I have a rooted Droid X on 2.1

After hearing about the crap Motorola pulled with the bootloader, I decided to wait on the ota update to Froyo until someone either figures a workaround, or they don't...to which I will update via the latest leak.

PROBLEM: After twice saying NOT to download this ota, I look down at my status bar and it shows something downloading at 10%...It's the syatem update!!!! I immediately pulled the battery, only to have the download continue upon restarting the phone. I am currently in Airplane mode waiting to hear if there is a way to KILL, CANCEL or STOP this download from installing!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Kevro

Advertisement
  2. mmarti16

mmarti16 Well-Known Member

after it downloads it will prompt you to install, you can tell it don't install however i don't recall if there was a countdown timer that would auto install it...

FWIW, I was rooted 2.1 used OTA to update to 2.2 and then used the droid 2 one click to root...what else are you worried about?

kevro_86 likes this.
  3. topdj

topdj Well-Known Member

I used the ota 2.2 last night, I renamed my bloatware back to apk and moved the su to xbin, still lost root but I re-rooted went back and renamed all the crapware with file explorer to Bak and all is well. nice to finally have flash

kevro_86 likes this.
  4. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

I'm holding off on 2.2 as well, and I also had my phone go and download it by itself and ask to install it. :\ I noticed the window asking me to install says that if I hit "Later," it will remind me again in 12 hours. Well, I hit "Later," and before the 12 hours was up, I went to the About Phone menu and hit Check for System Update, which brought up the window again. So I hit "Later" again, and guess what! Suspended for another 12 hours! Seems to be working so far... Just hope I don't forget to keep doing it...

kevro_86 likes this.
  5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Yep, you can keep postponing it by hitting "Later" every 12 hours, but if you forget, you'll get an auto-update.

I have gotten around this by installing the leaked Froyo and thus, by Motorola's own design, will never receive the upgrade :D

kevro_86 likes this.
  6. kevro_86

kevro_86 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Guys!

So if I let it download but say "NO" to the Install, I would then be able to install the leaked Froyo and it would quit asking me to install the OTA version?

I guess if I can root the OTA 2.2, it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to change the notification bar, and I think I need more than root to do that. Also, when Gingerbread leaks start happening a few months from now, it would be nice to not be at Verizon & Motorola's mercy when it comes to getting that upgrade.

Thanks Again!!

Kevro

7. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

When you install the leaked Froyo, it's going to actually overwrite the system partition and thus get rid of the downloaded update... and since you aren't on 2.1, it won't ask you if you want to update/download the update in the future.

kevro_86 likes this.
  8. kk4df

kk4df Well-Known Member

Not certain, but I think the OTA puts the update.zip file in the cache folder. You might be able to find it there and delete it, if you are rooted.

I have successfully avoiding the OTA download by renaming the otacerts.zip file in the /system/etc/security folder to otacerts.zip.BAK