How do I stop Google Maps updating?

1. basalt

basalt Well-Known Member

Any way to do this - background data is always off yet it ignores that and there's no option in the app itself. It's chewed my battery power and used 5% of my data allowance.
    I wouldn't mind if I ever used it but I don't.

Advertisement
    :
  2. rbasusparky

rbasusparky Well-Known Member

Bring up the Android Market, Menu->My Apps->Click on Application (Google Maps), uncheck "Allow automatic updating" setting.
    Timanator likes this.
  3. Timanator

Timanator Well-Known Member

Thanks rbasusparky

I've always wondered about that as well.
  4. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Well-Known Member

Just remember to check your Google applications every so often. Those boxes somehow get rechecked. I haven't figured out how or when but it is highly annoying if you're like me and would prefer to read change logs and reviews before installing an update.
  5. basalt

basalt Well-Known Member

Thanks, I could have sworn I'd turned it off - they hide the option well. It seems to know just when I want to access the web in a crap signal area and then start updating, if it did it discreetly I'd probably not notice.

So what good does turning off the background data option actually do if software can ignore it?
  6. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

I thought Background Data had to do with auto-syncing.
  7. Mstealth

Mstealth Member

Uncheck on Google map will stop updating.
  8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

That only affects updates as in downloading new versions of the app. It does not affect data transfer. The OP is asking about the latter.

This is nitpicking but it's not Maps chewing through your battery. It's your GPS receiver. Any app using the GPS receiver will chew through your battery.
  9. basalt

basalt Well-Known Member

My gps is never turned on - i assumed it was downloading in a weak signal area causing the trouble.
  10. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear that the Maps is large on other people's phones. Mine is nearly 11MB and was wondering if something had gone wrong causing it to get so large.
  11. harmony895

harmony895 Active Member

I don't see that option on my HTC Desire.
    In other apps i can do that, but not with Google maps.
    I hate automatic updates.
  12. deiago

deiago New Member

I have the exact same problem, however I'm using an LG P500!

Please help,
    The update is killing me on data costs

Kind regards,
    Deiago
  13. veloveloce

veloveloce New Member

I uninstalled Google maps because it was eating my data allowance.

I now use Maverick with Mapnik maps. It's a great app that will cache maps to your sd card. You can scroll through and cache maps on wi-fi, then you don't need a data connection when you're out and about.

Google have now blocked the use of their maps on this app!