• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I stop ICS from downloading?

Kyreba

Mar 19, 2010
I'm still running GB & want to keep it that way. When the updates first came thru I just kept hitting Later or No & the prompts eventually stopped.

However lately something keeps trying to push overnight. Every morning I'd see a Failed download message & I'd just ignore it.

I just woke up now to see a downloading icon on the top bar. When I checked to see what it is, it says ICS download but it's at 0% 0/0. I quickly turned off wifi & then put it in airplane mode to try to make it fail.

How do I stop this thing from continuing to push? GB works fine for me & I really do not want to have to factory reset the phone after the upgrade & have to reset everything.

Or anyone have any quick backup techniques to save all my settings to make a factory reset less of a PITA?

TIA
Shellie

I'm still running GB & want to keep it that way. When the updates first came thru I just kept hitting Later or No & the prompts eventually stopped.

However lately something keeps trying to push overnight. Every morning I'd see a Failed download message & I'd just ignore it.

I just woke up now to see a downloading icon on the top bar. When I checked to see what it is, it says ICS download but it's at 0% 0/0. I quickly turned off wifi & then put it in airplane mode to try to make it fail.

How do I stop this thing from continuing to push? GB works fine for me & I really do not want to have to factory reset the phone after the upgrade & have to reset everything.

Or anyone have any quick backup techniques to save all my settings to make a factory reset less of a PITA?

TIA
Shellie
Actually, to stop the prompts since Verizon seems to be forcing them now, you would have to root and install an update stopper app, there are several in the Play Store.

My question is why??? ICS is hundred times better than GB, especially on the Rezound since GB can't utilize the dual-cores of the Rez's processor (only one core is supported in GB). The benefits of switching are numerous... What is the reason you want to stay on GB???

My suggestion to you would be to backup all your data (move everything to Google, like contacts, calendar events, and other local PM data), backup SMS, move photos/music/files to the SD card (or a PC) and download and install the current OTA RUU and install it twice. It will wipe you phone, but you will be on the current OS... Or better yet, root and install an AOSP JellyBean version, they are sooo sweeet!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

When ICS first came out alot of people were having problems with their phones after they upgraded. Many said they wished they'd never switched. I looked at the improvements it offered & figured for me at that time it wasn't worth making my phone possibly wonky (ain't broke don't fix it kind of thing).

Plus the bigger thing was the factory reset suggested after you upgrade. I wish there was some easy way to just make a back-up copy of everything & then just re-download.

I guess this weekend I'll bite the bullet & go through all the back up steps for SMS, figure out how to back up the calendar, make a list of all my apps & screen set-ups etc. Luckily all my pics are on my SD card already so I just pop that out.

I may be asking for more help this weekend on doing all of this. Plus any tips for setting things up for the future. I'm really glad this forum is here for the tech stuff cuz Lord knows I wouldn't trust a Verizon rep any farther than I could throw them. LOL

Upvote 0
Id just download the newest "leak" and flash it twice like ace said. I did that when I had my Rezound and it was much better than GB ever was. Really woke the phone up compared. I had gone through about 4 or 5 factory resets in about 3 months because I was installing leaks constantly, it took me like 20 mins to get most of the phone back where it was. Its not as bad as it might seem to reinstall everything you need. I found I left out a bunch of apps that i didnt really use before so really cut back on what I had to reinstall.

Upvote 0
I had pretty bad battery drain on the Official ICS, I flashed the global leak and everything was better again. A lot of people flash the global one since it seems to be a better version all around.

So how do I know which one is downloading? I don't understand what flash means, does that mean I have to root my phone?

Sorry to sound dumb but I'm not that techy. But I can follow directions well

Upvote 0
if its downloading via your phone from verizon, its not the newest "leak". Theres a newer global version of ICS that adds global phone support and some other tweaks that most people will say is an improvement over the official ICS that verizon sent out. The global leak can be downloaded from android police and many other sites at this point. I dont remember the exact version number off the top of my head.

Flashing is more or less doing what the update from verizon does. Except you are doing it manually by downloading it and putting it on your phones SD card. It will reset the phone to factory defaults so its a clean install.

Heres link for the newest build of ICS for rezound.

[Exclusive Download] Full RUU Build 4.03.605.2 For The HTC Rezound

Upvote 0
I guess this weekend I'll bite the bullet & go through all the back up steps for SMS, figure out how to back up the calendar, make a list of all my apps & screen set-ups etc. Luckily all my pics are on my SD card already so I just pop that out.

A list of every app currently installed in your phone and a list of every app ever installed in your phone is available from you account with Google Play store. You can pick and choose which apps to start re-installing from your computer or laptop web browser.

Quick tip (if needed): when entering new contact information, do NOT choose 'save to phone' option -- instead, select 'save to Google'. That way, whenever you reset your phone / lose your phone, you don't lose any contact information. During the resetting process, you will be prompted to sign in with your Google account information -- this will automatically bring all your contact information back into your phone.

For your photos: you can set your phone to automatically upload your pictures to Google's servers... pictures are not shared with anyone unless you specifically set them to be. Tip: choose 'update by wifi only' so that it does not go against your data cap (if you have one).

Good luck !

Upvote 0

TIA
Shellie

Trust me, my wife used to feel the same way and now she loves ICS. It's noticeably faster all around, including Web browsing. Little things like finally being able to swipe away notifications.

Here's a link to a popular backup app called My Backup that should do what you need it to. Factory reset won't touch anything you have on your sdcard, and MyBackup backups and restores your apps and settings to the sdcard, so leave it in.

Easiest thing in your situation is just to backup everything and let Verizon's update proceed. Hopefully you should get not only ICS, which came out a year ago, but also the latest update which just came out last week. You will be able to tell by the software version that shows up in About Phone once you have done the update.

The latest htc software version for the Rezound starts with a 4 and ends with .14

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones