1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I sync Titanium Backup with Dropbox?

Last Updated:

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to figure this out. I bought Titanium Backup today just because one of the features it offered was syncing with Dropbox. It says it's an experimental feature which I take to mean buggy as hell, but I'm willing to try it out. I can't figure out how to set it up though. I've dug through all the settings and it's possible I'm missing something completely, but I don't know where. Can anyone walk me through how to do this? Being able to sync my backups to the cloud is a huge thing for me.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

While their website says it's in there, I too can't figure out how to accomplish this.

I am going to try this though...
    I'm going into preferences and I'm going to set the "Backup folder name" to "dropbox/Titaniumbackup" and see if that doesn't just place your backup files in the dropbox directory on your sdcard.

I'll report back.

3. A.Nonymous

I tried that when I was messing with it. It didn't work. Apparently dropbox doesn't sync both ways with their Android app.

4. messenger13

werd. :( I tried working it backward, as well. I created a folder from my PC, etc..., etc. Still FAIL. Argh!

5. A.Nonymous

Yep. I had tried the same thing with the same epic fail. The app advertises this as a feature though albeit an experimental one.

6. A.Nonymous

Apparently there's a new build that just popped on the market that does have Dropbox under Menu >> Preferences. I can't get it to work though. It won't let me log in. Is it just me or are other people having this same problem? If you don't have a Dropbox account and want to test this out, the official referral thread is here. (I don't want to get in trouble for pimping out my own account.) If this works, it lets you sync your backups to the cloud so you can rebuild your phone from scratch virtually anywhere. I'd love to know if anyone can get it to work.

7. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Trying it out right now...I can see it uploading to Dropbox as it's running. Definitely working. Looks like it's going to take a while though.

EDIT: Holy sheep that's a lot of files! I'm hoping it doesn't crash. I'll report back later.

8. messenger13

The new version is working for me ... no problem! Sweet! VERY cool! :cool:

Don't know what we're doing differently than you A.Nonymous. :confused:

Better use WiFi to upload to the cloud. ;)

9. A.Nonymous

I keep getting login failed, but I'm positive my user name and password are correct.

Edit: operator headspace error. Droidwall was set up to firewall titanium.

10. w_bovine

Success! It started off very slowly and looked like it could take hours, but after a while it took off and backed up everything just fine. 93 MB...wow...had no idea it would be that big.

11. A.Nonymous

I ran a full backup before hand and ended up uploading over 180 mb of data. It took at least 40 mins and was at the 50-60% range when I fell asleep. I woke up and it had finished. I had it run a backup of some new apps over night so I told it to sync again. This time it finished in the time it took me to take a shower. The first sync probably takes the longest. After that, it only has to sync the files that changed. I would not recommend syncing over 3G unless you really desire to have your phone sync for several hours.

I'm going to play with it tonight and see how useful this is if I completely toast my phone. How easy is it to get your backup off the cloud and put it to use?

12. w_bovine

I would expect it's as simple as installing Titanium Backup on your phone and downloading the files. It would take some time no doubt. I'll keep a backup on my home PC and use Dropbox as a last resort.

13. A.Nonymous

Yeah, that's what I expect too, but I like to play with scenarios like this just in case. My plan is to fully back up the SD card and get a nandroid backup of everything else. Then I'm going to test out an autonuking program I've got to see how well it works and go from there.

14. w_bovine

Sounds good. Keep us posted on how things go.

15. A.Nonymous

I just tried it out. I got a nandroid backup of my phone. Then I wiped the phone and the SD card so I'm basically simulating having a brand new phone. I installed Titanium, got my license off GMail and pressed the "Sync to Dropbox" button. It went out and deleted all my backup files off Dropbox. Obviously, this is useless.

I tried installing the Dropbox client to my phone thinking I could then go sync the entire phone and do a restore that way. Sadly, Dropbox only lets you sync files from Dropbox one at a time. This is not a realistic way to do a restore from backup. Maybe in an absolutely worst case scenario I could do a restore that way, but not a way I would choose to do a restore. I'd be better off downloading a Nandroid backup from Dropbox and restoring that way. Oh well, it is an experimental feature. I'm sure they'll iron the bugs out of it.

w_bovine likes this.
  16. w_bovine

Dang...that was really rude of Titanium to axe the files in Dropbox. Sounds like it needs a bit of work. The nandroid backup sounds much more viable obviously.

Nevertheless, kudos to you for having the intestinal fortitude to try it out, and thanks for the report! :)

17. A.Nonymous

I had nothing to lose and a Phillies game to watch. Not that hard to backup your phone completely when you know for sure that you're going to wipe it out. And the Phillies clinched the NL East so it all worked out.

18. snoshark

snoshark Member

Has anyone here tried Syncness? That's what I use to sync dropbox and my Samsung Infuse - definitely slick. Having trouble with one large movie folder on my Acer Iconia A500 - but all other (less than 3gb) folders work just fine.

Thinking about giving Titanium Backup dropbox on my Samsung Infuse.

19. Gillian708

Gillian708 New Member

1. Delete Titanium Backup and Titanium PRO (if you have it) in the Market
    2. Re-install the apps you just uninstalled (no need to re-boot)
    3. Open Titanium, in the submenu "Preferences" check "Enable Dropbox"
    4. Hit the back button to re-start Titanium and now in the Overview page Dropbox will have a green checkmark that says "YES"

20. darkuni

darkuni Well-Known Member

Personally? I simply backup my TitaniumBackup folder to my PC using File Expert's FTP sharing. Fast, simple, effective.

21. belledee

belledee Well-Known Member

I am using es file explorer ftp sharing feature, how did you set up the backup folder location to the ftp server instead of the sd card?

Thanks

22. Seanette

Seanette Well-Known Member

If anyone still needs to know how to get Titanium talking to Dropbox, my husband says he's got that working smoothly.

23. belledee

belledee Well-Known Member

I would like to know

Sent from my Stratosphere using Tapatalk

24. Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock Well-Known Member

Alas, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I didn't have any problems getting it to work. I just installed Titanium Backup Pro, set things in what seemed the obvious way, and it worked. I didn't encounter any of the problems that others are encountering, so I would't have any experience at solving them.

25. sgosnell

sgosnell Well-Known Member

Open Titanium Backup, Backup/Restore, Menu, Preferences, and check Enable Dropbox. Then tap on Dropbox Settings, Remote Location, and set the folder on Dropbox you want to sync to. I set a new folder named TitaniumBackup, to keep it all in one easy-to-find place. Then set the labels to synchronize - I chose Synchronize Everything. Set the number of backups to keep, then okay out. That's all you should need to do.