How do I tell if my replaced S4 is refurbished?Support

1. New Member

New Member Active Member

I can't find any good instructions that informs me how to tell if my phone is refurbished. I just had to order a replacement and would like to know. The volume on this one seems to be noticeably lower than the original I bought.

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

I dont know if there is a surefire way to tell other than contacting whoever replaced your phone. But I do know if you use carrier insure, the ones I am familiar with use refurbished phones as replacements
  3. New Member

New Member Active Member

I am with T-Mobile and pay $10/mth for insurance. I told them specifically when I was replacing it that I did not want a refurbished one and was told they would notate it. I just want to make sure.
  4. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

What you want is one thing, what they told you another, you need to check your insurance policy to make sure. I got a refurb one through insurance and it actually came in different packaging ... One tell is usually if the phone comes in original packaging.
  5. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

Yes in my experience a refurbed device doesn't come in the original packaging with protective stickers all over it. Sometimes the accessories are missing too but seeing how the USB lead doubles as the charging lead (very inconvenient) for the SGS4 I suspect that the accessories will be there with a refurbed unit.
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of talk on here about refurbished phones and how everyone is desperate to avoid them.

Might I ask why?

I have only ever bought two refurbished items but both were pretty much as good as new and since the manufacturers fully test refurbished devices, I don't see why everyone is so keen to avoid them.
  7. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

People probably misunderstand them for "used"... Refurb devices are fine as long as your warranty remains unaffected.

Generally refurbs means the vendor gets the device back for whatever reason, changes battery and sometimes even the touchscreen and case if needed.

At the end of the day - it doesn't really make a difference ... Some brand new devices laying in a shop for a year collecting dust before it is being sold is worse than a refurb one :)
  8. y2kgtp

y2kgtp Well-Known Member

It may not even be a refurbished phone.

"Replacement devices may be a reconditioned one of like type and quality. If a reconditioned device is not available, replacement will be a new device of like type and quality. Replacement device comes with a 6-month warranty."

Premium Handset Protection
  9. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Active Member

At least on VZW, EVERY replacement phone I got was NEVER as good as the original one. Not bad enough to nail down and get another replacement, but just performance lag and just generally quirky and not right. There were ALWAYS hidden "gremlins" it seemed. THAT is why! ;)
  10. lotus49

How can a hardware fault make a phone slightly slower?

Sorry for the multiple posts. I was on a train with poor reception and according to my phone, none of my posts worked. I got home to find I'd posted the same (not especially noteworthy) post four times and it's not possible to delete them.

@Mods

Feel free to delete my posts below because I cannot.
  11. lotus49

12. lotus49

13. lotus49