• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I tell which verison of Android I have in a ZTE Warp

reble

Android Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2012
Kennewick Wa
I have a ZTE Warp 4g n9510. All the phone says under system settings > about phone is "Android version 4.4.2". It doesn't say whether it is Jelly Bean Android, KitKat Android or what. How do I find out? I am trying to get this phone re-rooted after the last auto system firmware upgrade. And so far none of the normal root prog's like Famaroot work. I have been at it for 2 weeks or more now, reading everything that I can find, trying to figure this out. I keep bumping into an error message "device not online" when it is. I can move files to and from the SD card in the cell phone to my laptop via the usb cable. The one important program that I have that needs the phone to be rooted is the backup isp (via the cell phone through the usb cable to the laptop) if the primary isp from Frountier Communications goes down (and it does a lot in this apt complex) dui's driving over the juction box's. Or I am somewere that I can't reach an free open wifi. I could use some help please. I found some manual ways to root the phone but I need to know whether the phone is JB, KK or what. I can't afford to buy a new phone right now if I screw up and brick the phone by using the wrong prog version.

Update: I think I got it figured out. I typed this post out because I never got the email notification about the reply on a different post with the answer. I went and checked it on a wim. I would still like to know how to tell what kind of Android software (JB,KK or what) is in the phone.

Steve

Last edited:
4.1-4.3.1 is jelly bean, 4.4-4.4.4 is KitKat, your phone firmware is KitKat (4.4.2), one can also confirm this by going into you settings, go to about device and tap on the android version a multitude of times then a K should come out, press and hold that K and it should take you to an aray of tiles, that's the easiest way. About the rooting part, I believe that you are only able to root it through a computer via "unbrick tool" but that's from what I've heard, unless you still have a custom recovery, you could flash over a stock ROM with root.

Upvote 0
Thats what I am working on now with SuperR. Thats the email that got missed placed in cyber space, telling me how to root using Unbrick Tool. I posted this original post here before checking the other post for a reply. I routinely check my posts because I don't always get the emails saying someone has posted a reply.

About the rooting part, I believe that you are only able to root it through a computer via "unbrick tool" but that's from what I've heard, unless you still have a custom recovery, you could flash over a stock ROM with root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones