• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I transfer my apps from the g1 to the g2?

waley_bean

Lurker
Sep 24, 2009
Hi all

I currently have the G1 and will be upgrading to the G2 (Hero) soon but I cannot find any info on how to transfer all my applications from one phone to the other and as I have paid applications on the G1 I do not want to pay for them again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I use AppManager to backup the application files to the SD card. You'll be able to install them onto the other phone from the same application, or individually.

As far as the paid applications go, the Android Market has those on record, and will either install them when you launch the Market or prompt you to install. You won't lose the ability to install your paid apps.

There is one assumption--that you use the same gmail account to configure both devices.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Is the application manager built into the G1 or is it an application,? (sorry if I sound a bit dim :) )

I plan to sell the G1 if I am happy with the G2 when I try it out so will do a hard reset on the G1 once I have transferred everything (I think music and pics are on my SD card so I will pop that in the new model). I presume I can just set myself up on the new G2 with my Google account (I only have the one account) used on the old G1? And will this hard reset on the G1 stop the new owner from getting my card details and Google account info etc?

Also is there anything else I might need to know to successfully transfer everything between phones?

I think I might miss the built in keyboard but I heard the soft one is good?

Upvote 0
The AppManager is the one for download in Android Market. For the most part, you have your music, photos, apps, etc. stored on your SD card, so the only thing you have to worry about it the contacts. If you have every contact in GMail, you're set.

Soft keyboards or not is a matter of preference for most. I eagerly welcomed the soft keyboard as I'm a texter of the T9 fan club. I think the Hero keyboard is really good, but the downloadable TouchPal keyboard is really nice, too.

Upvote 0
Any apps which AppManager cant back up (i have had the same problem, think there might be a flag that an app can set to disallow backups) you can just download again from the android market.

And as JoeC said, your google account knows which apps youve bought so any paid for apps can be downloaded again as well.

Upvote 0
Any apps which AppManager cant back up (i have had the same problem, think there might be a flag that an app can set to disallow backups) you can just download again from the android market.

And as JoeC said, your google account knows which apps youve bought so any paid for apps can be downloaded again as well.

That is not it ... there are basically four types of apps.

Core apps, Free apps, Paid apps, and protected,

Core apps are in root priviledged directories -- not copyable

Free apps -- can be copied

Paid App -- in private protected directory not copyable without root access priviledges.

Protected App -- in private protected directory not copyable without root access priviledges.

All files may be copied with root access ..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones