How do I unroot my phone?

Last Updated:

1. cody7002002

cody7002002 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm running fresh 2.1.1 and lately its been really buggy and I think I'm tired of having to deal with updating to the newest roms and dealing with bugs and glitches and I just want to go back to the stock firmware. What is the best way to do this? If my phone originally had 1.5 on it do I have to go back to that before I can update to the newest official firmware release?

Advertisement
  2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

No, you don't have to go back to 1.5. You can go the the Sprint website and updat the phone to 2.1, ifthat is what you want to do. Be sure you have the HTC sync software and follow the update instructions Sprint has there.

OR! You could use the Nandroid backup you made when you first rooted, and go back to 1.5 that way, and keep root. A "keep root" version of the latest official 2.1 firmware is available as well.

3. cody7002002

So are you saying that I don't have to unroot my phone before upgrading to the official sprint firmware? I can just upgrade to it from my current fesh 2.1?

4. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

YUP! go here [ROM] Sprint 2.27.651.6 STOCK Deoxed w/A2SD Update 3 |6/22/2010| - xda-developers

Be sure make a nandroid backup before flashing the new rom...just in case.

PS You'll have to set it up again, and any apps you previously downloaded will be available to you again the first time you go to the market.

5. cody7002002

Running into a few problems now... I followed the instructions as they're said on this site Support - Article

When I go through the setup its giving me a usb error saying that the phone is not connected to the computer. Clearly it is, whats going on here?

EDIT: Nevermind, I went to the web site that you linked and downloaded that rom and flashed it in recovery mode like I would any other rom and it seems to be working but why is all my data still there? All my text messages and programs (some of them) are still installed. Am I still rooted if I downloaded and installed that rom that you linked me to?

6. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

everything is still there because you didn't wipe data and davilik... which you really should do to ensure that no left over data is lingering behind..

7. cody7002002

I did a factory reset and everything seems to be working now!