• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do i update android OS/install apps without a data plan?

I have a HTC desire but no data plan, how exactly do i download/install apps and update the android OS for my phone?

1. (For your OS) Get into a area where they have wifi, turn on and connect wifi, go to update Android and if there's an up date it will update.

2. (For your apps) open up the market hit the menu button, click on my apps it should show you all apps that need to be updated.

Upvote 0
I tried for a long time to get my HTC desire to work with free wifi, but i kept getting the message "Unable to establish secured connection" when adding my google account.

HTC support was clueless, till i asked around on another forum and was told that the free wifi was not secure, so the phone would not let me add my google account. HTC support confirmed that this might be the cause.

Question now is :

-Is there any way to bypass this block to add my google account without a secure wifi connection?

-Is there any website that will offer android apps for download, which i can then transfer from my PC to my phone via HTC sync?

Basically i just want to install two apps, silent boot (to turn off startup sound) and a wallpaper app that lets me set wallpapers without cropping.

Upvote 0
Does your Desire have something called "Internet Pass-through"? Connect to a computer via USB and then you'll get the option to enable disk mode, charge only, and HTC Sync. There may even be a fourth option called "Internet Pass-through", but it only works if you install HTC drivers (included with HTC Sync if you have that installed) onto the computer you're connecting to, which may not work for internet cafe computers.

As for alternative app markets, you could try GetJar and/or SlideMe.

For logging into your Google Account without a secure connection...I wouldn't know how to bypass that.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones