• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how do i update g1 from 1.0 to 2.2

K

kiddykoff

So i'm new to this android scene, but i'm ready to dive in. I just want to make sure of some things before i brick my phone.

I got this phone from my sister and hasn't been used in a long time. It's running now, but the firmware is out of date

Model number:
T-Mobile G1
Firmware version:
Baseband version:
62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29
Kernel version:
2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0 android-build@apa27 #6
Build number:
kila-user 1.0 TC4-RC29 115247 ota-rel-keys,release-keys

i was going to follow these instructions for updating to Froyo. [ROM][BBQ] CyanogenMod-6 for Dream & Magic - V6.0.0 (08/28/2010) - xda-developers
but they are a bit confusing.

I guess i have to install a boot loader, CyanogenMod 6.0.0-DS and i'm following these instructions
Dream:Installing CyanogenMod 5+ - CyanogenMod Wiki

i downloaded
latest CyanogenMod ROM: update-cm-6.0.0-DS-signed
latest EBI1 kernel: bc-4.2.15.1-ebi1-signed
latest Google Apps: gapps-ds-ERE36B-signed

my question is that it says to copy them as update.zip to the root of the phone. but there are 3 of them. How can they all be named as the same, but at the root of sd card?

can someone clarify this for me. or tell me i'm doing something wrong

First question. Are you looking to have Cyanogens custom ROM installed, or would you be satisfied with the ROM that HTC would provide you? If the HTC version is a-ok by you, just hook it up to wifi and wait for the update to come automagically.

If custom firmware is what tickles your fancy, the first thing you'll want to do is get a custom bootloader installed to your phone. Last I checked, Amon-Ra was the weapon of choice. Once you get that bootloader up and running you can install any zip that is loaded to your sdcard without the need to rename them to update.zip

Upvote 0
i don't think there is any reason for a custom rom, so the htc flavor is fine for me.

I have been connected through the data network, but there hasn't been any prompt to update. I've tried going to google to download the firmware but every link i've come to has lead me to a 404 page

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones