How do I update my already rooted Evo 4G?

1. Iceman11375

Iceman11375 New Member

Hey guys,

please forgive my newbish questions. I rooted my Evo 4g when I got it 2 years ago and I have not played around with it since. It has Android 2.2 on it and hboot 2.10. I have seen there are much newer Android version out now that help with many of the problems I have with this phone. I started reading the rooting guide for dummies and it just made me even more confused with radios (have no idea what that is!), wimax etc etc. I remember when I did this it wasn't so complicated it was pretty simple. so..

How do I know which android version to upgarde to for this phone that is stable and I don't lose any ability like 4G or something else? Is there a simple way to do this since my phone is alrady rooted and basically all I want is the newest version of android? Thank you in advance for answering my stupid newbish questions.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Hello, so you basically want to update your ROM to gingerbread.

To do this, download either a completely stock updated ROM or an updated ROM with tweaks and optimizations (my recommendation)

You can find stock ROMS here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html
    Go with either 4.54 or 4.67(newer)

As far as custom ROMS I'd suggest MikG:MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]
    it has the hacked sprint hotspot app to work for free and all kinds of other bells and whistles, and it will still look like the stock ROM.

Instructions for flashing a ROM:
    1.first you need the vr superwipe:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
    2.download the rom of your choice and transfer it to your card.
    3.go into recovery
    4.make a nandroid backup
    5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
    6.select install (or flash depending on which recovery you have) zip from sdcard
    7.find the superwipe file and flash it.(optional, if you have clockworkmod recovery this will not work)
    8.find your rom and flash it.
    9.reboot.

You will lose all data updating your ROM, but you can use an application like titanium backup to backup important app data onto your SD card and you can restore it when done
    Iceman11375 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Iceman11375

Iceman11375 New Member

I actually have clockworkMod Recovery v2.6.0.1 does that change anyhting I haev to do?
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

well you most likely have clockwork mod as that is what unrevoked will install for you when it roots your phone. at the bottom of the screen in recovery, it will say what you have.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

It is recommended that you switch to Amon Ra because clockwork doesn't always wipe correctly. Also, be aware that nandroids you made with clockworkmod will not be able to be backed up with this version of Amon Ra, so do a new nandroid after completion of switching your recoveries

Directions for switching recoveries:
    you can get the recovery here:PC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
    here are the instructions:
    1.download the file.
    2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
    3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
    4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
    5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
    6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    7.select recovery.
    8.select backup and restore and select backup
    9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
    10.now you can reboot.
    11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

Just an fyi I am getting all of these instructions in the after root section here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html