How do I update to latest non-official 2.1

Last Updated:

1. screamster

screamster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone point me to the latest an greatest 2.1 update? Does an version have Flash yet? I am sick of waiting on the OTA. do I need to root?

Do I lose my apps on the SD if I do? Quake, Quake 2, Nintendo Emul? Does all of the apps work? GPS?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

answers in bold

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

easiest way to root is with the app from droidmod.org. Don't install their customer rom as it is 2.01.

4. culpin

culpin Well-Known Member

Don't be scared to root/install custom roms! I was timid for about a month or so. I was constantly reading threads here and on alldroid until I finally took the plunge yesterday. All in all, I will say that it is extremely easy IF you can follow instructions. I used rootyourdroid.info as a guide and was rooted with BBv.8 installed within an hour. My next step is figuring out what to do next as now that I have started customizing my droid I feel like I can't stop! It's addicting, backup often and customize without fear!

5. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

keywords are read everything very carefully before you root. Rooting is easy, just make sure you back up all your apps and anything else you dont want to lose before you root.

6. refuzeandrezizt

refuzeandrezizt Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, you do not need to root to update to the latest official leaked 2.1 ROM. Do a Google search for ESE53 and you should find the file you need. You will also need to find RSDlite in order to flash the file. Yes, it will completely wipe your phone if you go this route. I have been running the ESE53 since it was posted awhile ago, and it is very nice. It doesn't, however, have flash. From what I hear, flash will not be in the OTA release either.

7. screamster

awesome. thanks everyone!

8. refuzeandrezizt

Not sure if we are allowed to post links or not, if not, please let me know. Here is the link to the post over on alldroid.org that should get you there without having to root. If you want to root and do a custom ROM, there are hundreds of choices out there.

Link ---> Re: [Release] Droid 2.1 ESE53 SBF file

9. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

NO YOU DO NOT NEED TO ROOT! Do what refuzeandrezizt said and get the 2.1 SBF file and use RSD Lite to flash it. No rooting required.

Edit: I guess I didn't read every else's posts clearly enough before posting as I see some of you already pointed this out, my bad.

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I shouldnt have said you need to root. What I mean is if you want to be able to restore your apps without manually downloading/reinstalling them then you need to root

11. refuzeandrezizt

Not really true either. When I flashed to ESE53, all my apps showed up in the market under downloads. Hell, some of them even redownloaded without me doing anything. Not sure what the trick is to this, as it seems some do and some don't, but it worked for mine. When I did some of the custom ROM's, it didn't do this, and Astro is nice, but after restoring, they don't come up in the market.

12. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Exactly what I have read. It is expected to be a direct download from Adobe's website. SOON I HOPE :D

13. refuzeandrezizt

I hope so, but like everything else, I will believe it when I see it. Man, it will be nice to be able to jump over to Hulu and catch up on some missed shows from the phone. But then again, about the time we get flash, Hulu will probably start changing over to the pay thingy they are discussing. Dang it!!!

14. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

Why would Flash be included in this update, they are two different companies.:confused:

15. refuzeandrezizt

As WE know, it's not. I was pointing it out to the OP, who was hoping it would be :D

16. screamster

Never fails... :D

17. screamster

I was referring to a standalone. I myself code in actionscript 3.0 everyday. Just thought someone may have gotten a hold of it.