• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I use an MP3 as a ring tone?

Web sites claim that I simply push the menu key and press "set as", but no such option exists. I got the MP3 from Amazon.

If you do a search it should bring it up, but ill go off of what I did,
-plug your phone to your pc, and use as mass storage. if you have an external card.
-there should be a media folder, if there isnt one on your external card, make one.
-make a subfolder inside media and name it audio
-make a subfolder inside audio and name it ringtones
-copy any an all music you want to use as ringtones in this folder

After doing this you should be able to go to settings: sound:voice call ringtone, and you should be able to see your music there and pick them as your ringtones.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do ringtones for individual contacts, so if anyone knows I would be appreciative.

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to figure out how to do ringtones for individual contacts, so if anyone knows I would be appreciative.

Unless the contacts are native contacts stored only on the phone, the option won't appear in the contact properties. For example, it doesn't work with Google/Gmail contacts, which a lot of people use.

Upvote 0
well... it's been easy for me =)

i use myFiles to browse the memory, go to the mp3, open it

then the menu key, set as --> blah blah

BUT now that you say it, i tried with a full mp3 (a slayer song) and it doesn't let me do the same... the "set as" doesn't appear.

well.... no so easy for me in the end hahahahaha

some mp3s let you, some don't

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones