• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how do i watch dvd's on nexus 7

stargirl29

Dec 3, 2012
I've been searching for free software to convert DVDs to watch on my nexus. preferably free programs. I assume mpg4 is the format I would need. after I convert it dumb question how to get it to my nexus to watch? (don't want YouTube Cruz I want to watch offline too)

There are many choices out there, but my preferred method uses two programs:
- DVDFab (free portion - called HDDecrypter - it also does Bluray)
- Handbrake

DVDFab is used to decrypt the DVD (strips off the copy protection), and then Handbrake is used to convert the decrypted files (DVDFab outputs to a directory of VOB files) into an MP4 file. Handbrake has several profiles for different types of outputs depending in the desired device. For my Nexus 7, I tend to stick to the "Android High" setting.

Once you have your MP4 file from Handbrake, it's a case of connecting the Nexus 7 to your computer using the USB cable and copying the file into the "Movies" directory (ignore the warning message that might pop up - something about unknown filetypes). The standard pre-installed video player will run the MP4 file fine. I tend to use MX Player (free app from the store) to play videos, as the controls are nicer, and it plays other filetypes too.

Hope that helps!

Rhyan

Upvote 0
Although it wasn't free software, I found the following process extremely easy and it lets me keep my movies on a USB flash drive.

First:
Purchase DVD Catalyst 4 software ($9.95) for your PC (I'm sure there is other free software out there)
Purchase an OTG (On-the-Go) Cable for Nexus 7 from Amazon ($1 to $8)
Purchase a USB flash drive (my 16gb held 7 movies with space left for approx 5 additional movies)
Download the Nexus Media Importer app to your N7.

Now:
Upload your DVD to your PC using DVD Catalyst 4
Download the DVD to your USB flash drive
Connect your USB flash drive to the OTG Cable
Insert the OTG Cable into your N7. Your Nexus Media Importer app will open (click OK) and select the DVD you wish to watch.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: SirGrant
Upvote 0
Although it wasn't free software, I found the following process extremely easy and it lets me keep my movies on a USB flash drive.

First:
Purchase DVD Catalyst 4 software ($9.95) for your PC (I'm sure there is other free software out there)
Purchase a USB flash drive (my 16gb held 7 movies with space left for approx 5 additional movies)

Now:
Insert the OTG Cable into your N7. Your Nexus Media Importer app will open (click OK) and select the DVD you wish to watch.

I hope this helps.

x2

DVD Catalyst 4 is so worth the $10 vs messing around trying to find the right combination of freewares. It's kind of idiot-proof when there is an actual recommended settings labeled 'Nexus 7'. Very plug n play.

Reactions: SirGrant
Upvote 0

First:

Now:

I hope this helps.

thanks for the tips. i purchased dvd catalyst.

i had a couple questions. i used the nexus fast setting when i converted my dvd. but i don't know what the difference between fast & normal setting is.

how many movies (approximately) can i fit on a nexus 32gb?

and lastly, should i use another program to compress the video even more?

Upvote 0
The amount of movies you can fit depends entirely on the size of the movies. I have some that are 5MB and others that are 500MB. Best is to put them on a USB stick and play them with the OTG cable.

But on the 32GB you also have quite a lot of space. And don't compress.

yea, i know it depends on length of movie' was just looking for a ballpark. but thx.

Upvote 0
I got the answer to my last question (it took approx 40 minutes) but the download to the Nexus would only display in vertical. Is there a way to watch (or convert-download) horizontally
That is very strange. It should play in both modes. I do not have that problem - but I convert with this program which is very fast: Format Factory Home Page - Free media file format converter

And here I made a little tutorial that shows you how to use it - very easy: https://vimeo.com/9283805

Upvote 0
He is what I do:

1. Use DVDShrink to rip the DVD to my hard drive.
2. Use Handbrake to convert the output from DVDShrink to MP4.
3. Copy the MP4 file from my computer to my Nexus 7.
4. Clicked on the file using a file manager and play it in the default video player.

Works fine for me, landscape or portrait.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones