How Do I??

Last Updated:

1. HollyPopDid

HollyPopDid Member This Topic's Starter

I've been trying to figure this out for quite some time now.
    I downloaded some ringtones (ventones.com) and they saved but I don't know where they saved to. I want to delete some but I can't find them. ): Does anyone know?
    I've looked for them in the file manager app and looked in the Download folder but I can't find them. Please help. Thanks. :)

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

They "HAVE" to be on your sdcard, that is, if they downloaded successfully. Plug your DROID into your PC and comb through each folder in Windows Explorer.

3. stevenlong

stevenlong Well-Known Member

If it helps my default download location is on the sd card under download.
    That is the folder I will find items that were downloaded.

4. HollyPopDid

I've looked everywhere, to be honest. The only place I can even find them is when I go under a contact and decide to set a ringtone for them. (Or if I do something else that opens the ringtones.) They're not in my music folder, either.

And they're not under the download folder. :[

5. proginski

proginski Active Member

Look and see if you have a media folder...that is where you need to store ringtones on the sdcard to get them listed when you select ringtones...Phil

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. HollyPopDid

How exactly do I do that?

7. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Download Astro file manager for your phone and look around. Either that or mount the SD card to your computer and look around that way.

8. randomwyteboy

randomwyteboy Member

Would it work to mount it to your PC then search the entire SD card for the file name?

9. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

the main folder is media, then they have sub folders, notification and ringtones. depending on what you downloaded.

Food for thought do not download ringtones, make them using ringdroid....easier and then you can assign them as ringtones or notifications

10. HollyPopDid

I downloaded Astro and searched all around. Looked into the Media Folder and the four sub folders and couldn't find it. :[ But how do I search my SD Card when I mount the the device to my PC? I know how to mount, but I only see the several files I have (music) and then the regular folders. Searched them all but couldn't find what I downloaded. :[

Thanks for helping, by the way!

11. nstallion

Search it just like you would any other folder on your computer. Windows should have a search box up in the top right. You can also search with Astro.

If I were in your place I would have just given up lol. Why do you need to delete them so badly?

HollyPopDid likes this.
  12. HollyPopDid

I searched but I can't find it. Is it possible that the name of the file isn't what it's actual FILEname is? If that made sense.. Or is even possible.. :x

How about is there a way just to, like.. reset the Droid? As in reset it to what it was when I got it.

13. bufftallica

bufftallica Active Member

Seems awfully drastic to reset your Droid just to delete a few measly ringtones...

14. dlee1422

dlee1422 Member

Well, if it helps, all my ring tones are saved in my media folder. Then again I use ringdroid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

15. HollyPopDid

Yeah but I just got it so I don't really mind, haha. Nothing big on it. :rolleyes:

16. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

**EDIT** I am an idiot. I misunderstood and thought the OP wanted to find them to USE them...Sorry...

Thanks nstallion for saving me further embarrassment...LOL

**EDIT2** Taking back the thanks, since you quoted me to further my embarrassment. :p (Kidding)

17. nstallion

I don't know how this helps him in any way to delete it.

18. HollyPopDid

Alright, so I decided just to do a hard reset. (They were really irritating me.. >_>) But now I have another question. Sorry, haha. :x

I've looked everywhere for a guide on rooting. I looked in the rooting section here, googled it, searched youtube, etc. etc. but I keep getting several different guides and, when I try to do at least one of them, I always get told (when I try to download something that I need) that the file is no longer there. So I decided I'd just ask you experts which guide is the actual one that I should be following. Again, I read the guide in the Rooting section and it kind of confused me because of the two different versions it's talking about, so yeah.. And some links are broken. So yeah my question, again, is which Rooting guide should I actually follow? (I have version 2.1, by the way.)

Thanks a lot. And thanks for everyone that tried to help earlier! :D

19. nstallion

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

20. HollyPopDid

Thanks. I used that link and, somehow, got to this guide:

How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid

I followed every step and it looked good up until I had to install the update.zip thing. I got this:

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:Can't mount /sdcard/update.zip
    (No such file or directory)
    Installation aborted.

It continues to do this no matter how many times I did it. I looked through the comments and found someone with a somewhat similar problem but no one explained the solution. (I also pressed allow before I tried installing ; Followed the directions) Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? ):

21. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Do not take this so personal but if you have trouble just finding a file, maybe rooting is not for you.

22. nstallion

Someone else had a similar problem and it had to do with the file being named update.zip.zip (windows was hiding the second .zip). Find the file with ASTRO and rename it to update.zip and try again.

23. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

I use zedge fairly regularly. I am not a pro, but I'm real good at making tones. Zedge can assign tones and I kinda like the app. Tones and wallpaper in 1 spot, totally free.

24. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Does your file manager not allow you to search the SD card? IIRC, Astro does. It's entirely possible that your ringtone app stores them in its own proprietary data file. I can't really comment much on this topic as I prefer to manually manage my tones.

25. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

^^ I would point your file manager to the apps folder and try there! :p