1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

How do updates work???

1. ItalianHunk

ItalianHunk Well-Known Member

OK, so I know when an update is available, it will push to my phone. What I don't understand is why don't all phones get all updates???

I have a HTC Inspire and I have 2.3.3. How come I never got Honeycomb? And will I get ICS?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Honeycomb was only released for tablets, so no phones got it.:)

I have moved this thread into the Inspire forum, where the people who are more knowledgable about the phone can post in this thread.

PS...After doing a bit of research on the web, it seems like there will not be an official release of ICS for the Inspire.:( Sorry.
  3. ItalianHunk

ItalianHunk Well-Known Member

OK, thank you. I probably should have asked my question a little better. I didn't necessarily mean for my question to pertain only to my Inspire phone. But to all Android phones in general. I don't much care about mine since I'm upgrading to a Note soon.
    Why don't all Android phones, Motorola Droid, Samsung Captivate, etc. get updated to ICS? I mean, I'm sure the Note won't get "Lemon Pie" when it comes to that. ;)
  4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Could be hardware related or support for the hardware. As an OS continues to move forward and is updated, support for older hardware will eventually be dropped in favour of newer hardware. It's a cycle that seems to be seen on all platforms. Even with Linux, some newer reiterations of it will not work on really old hardware. I've tried it just to see. My 10 year old notebook gagged on the newer versions.
  5. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

The manufactures choose which devices get which updates. Outdated hardware and trying to push sales of new devices usually prevent updates coming out.
  6. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

It really stinks that there wont be ICS on the Inspire. :(