How do you add punctuation or "return" in speech to text?

Last Updated:

1. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

I would like to make short shopping lists with speech to text, but that involves "hitting" the return key to go to the next line. How do I do this with speech? And along those same lines, how do I add punctuation?

Advertisement
  2. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about return, but as far as punctuation goes you can just speak it. "Period" for period... "Question mark" for question mark...
  3. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member

"My wife is on her period this week...."

=

"My wife is on her . this week...."

lol
    overcaffein8d likes this.
  4. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

LOL... technology can't wain all the time.
  5. overcaffein8d

overcaffein8d Well-Known Member

the thanks is for making me laugh. for far longer than i should have.
  6. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

That is funny! I have tried the punctuation now and that seems to work pretty good. Any ideas for the return, though?
  7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

"Next Line" ?
  8. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

Have you tried saying "Return?" Or "line break?"

I dunno.
  9. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

I tried "next line" and "line break" and both times it just typed those out. I don't think they have this feature. That is too bad.
  10. johnlgalt

Carriage return....hmmm - I suppose I should actually try it myself to see...
  11. overcaffein8d

i, for one, think that the droid should not return at all but continue going to the right. but when the text gets very close to the right edge of the screen, it should emit an audible "ding."

also, we should figure out how to change the audio file for when you're typing on the on-screen keyboard to the sound of a manual typewriter. can you say steampunk?
  12. johnlgalt

Lol - No, I do not want the DROID to be a typewriter....

I tried every way I could. The only way it works is if you stop talking, it translates, then you manually hit the return key.

I tried like 8 or 9 keywords, and every time it translated them into the actual words.
  13. overcaffein8d

14. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

I have been on google help pages, and reading the Nexus One users manual and everything else trying to find this answer, I don't think there is one right now.
  15. johnlgalt

Yah, this may be an issue that someone needs to report on the Google Android Issues pages....
  16. dnoonan

dnoonan Active Member

Try "new line". Works for dragon naturally speaking.
  17. johnlgalt

Doesn't here - I tried it already (old DNS user).
  18. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

I think you guys are right, there is no way to do this right now. One of the great uses for me of speech-to-text would be making little to-do lists on the fly, and a list that is just a string of words just doesn't seem right.

So, if I pull up Evernote or any other note-taking app, being able to create a true "list" by speaking the "return" command would be very useful.
  19. eandc1

eandc1 Member

if you're using vlingo new line is not currently possible according to their customer FAQ
  20. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

You could get the FlexT9 keyboard...it uses the Dragon Naturally Speaking engine, so you can say "next line" for the carriage return.

I believe it was offered as the free app of the day on Amazon's App Store awhile back, so it may be offered again...
  21. JeffGalaxyS219

JeffGalaxyS219 New Member

It works for me on Jelly Bean 4.1... I just said "newline" quickly and it did it. If you say "New Line" a bit slower, it will add the text "new line." Say it like it is one word, and it will do a carriage return.
  22. Campegirl9

Campegirl9 New Member

This worked for me on my new Galaxy Note 2. For example, a grocery list, say:

Eggs period return.

It seems that if you say "period" and THEN "return" it returns every time. Of course you will have a period at the end of each item.

eggs.
    milk.
    bread.
    Tujae likes this.
  23. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

try saying "new paragraph"
    Thom likes this.
  24. Tujae

Tujae New Member

I'm using a Google Nexus 4, which came with Google Now pre-installed. I found that whenever I said "new line", "new paragraph", or "enter" it gave me a space instead. This method by Campegirl9 is the one that actually worked for me.

I currently use the keyboard that comes with the Nexus 4. It has much of the same functionality as Swype and it give the option to input text by voice.

Correction: The other terms work too. They just have to follow a period, exclamation mark, or question mark. I'm not sure if it works on other punctuation.
  25. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

Thank you Tujae for joining AF and adding what works for you. :hello: