how do you back up your phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. kstuffer

kstuffer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i've been putting a lot of time and effort into whats in my phone. how do you guys back it up so that you are able to restore it if need be?

Advertisement
  2. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member

If your Droid X is rooted you can use a backup program like Titanium Backup to backup up compressed files to the micro SD card. I think all the backup programs only work on rooted phones.

kstuffer likes this.
  3. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Well-Known Member

If you're not rooted, you can at least back up your applications through AppBrain. The market remembers your paid apps, but not non-paid apps. Also, check the settings in your programs. Some of them have a backup feature that stores a backup file on your SD card.

kstuffer likes this.
  4. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Well-Known Member

No way to create an image of your phone in case of catastrophe (like another OTA bricking) unless you're rooted? That just seems odd.

5. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Use Gmail for all of your contacts and you'll never lose them no matter what happens to the phone.

6. edhgreatone

edhgreatone Well-Known Member

yeah i found this crazy too... froyo fixes this according to the froyo demo video...

7. kstuffer

kstuffer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

fixes the ability to fully back up a non rooted phone?

not rooted btw

8. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

Astro has a backup feature that will save all your installed apps as .apks into a backup folder on your SD card. I use it and LP's backup to save most of my stuff since I haven't rooted yet.

Garrett67, Nolesfan and kwest12 like this.
  9. edhgreatone

don't quote me, I thought I remember seeing in the froyo video about the new market being able to update all your apps at the same time and being able to back them up... I am not sure about full back up... I am shocked as many droid apps out there, that there's not a back up app that backs up all apps/settting/preferences on 1 file... I took this for granted on my crappy BB, assumed it was common amongst all phones?

i guess i'm just following everyone when they say FROYO FIXES EVERYTHING IN LIFE!.... now when is it coming?????

10. edhgreatone

"New data backup APIs enable apps to participate in data backup and restore, allowing an application's last data to be restored when installed on a new or a reset device. Apps can utilize Android Cloud to Device Messaging to enable mobile alert, send to phone, and two-way push sync functionality. Developers can now declare whether their app should be installed on internal memory or an SD card"

Android Developers Blog: Android 2.2 and developers goodies.

11. Larryf

Larryf Active Member

MyBackup Pro will backup Apps and Data. It has extra options if your phone is rooted but will also backup a non-rooted phone.

It will backup to the SD card or online.

I used it when I had to get a replacement phone and it worked great.

kwest12 likes this.
  12. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member

Didn't know this about Astro. I wish I had this when I switched from my Inc to the X. Thanks.

13. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

I just happened to stumble upon it one day fooling around with Astro. Hope it helps.

14. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

So basically you need root to make a real backup of your phone.. Isn't there a possibility of screwing your phone up when you root? Seems like it would suck to root your phone so you can back it up, and entirely break the phone in the process.

15. omnipanzer

omnipanzer Member

You shouldn't brick your phone just by rooting it (as long as your careful) however if you don't want to root your phone Verizon's backup assistant will automatically grab new contacts for you and sync automatically. The rest is just a waist of an hour getting your crap back and installed. I'm waiting for Froyo before rooting. Not for any real reason except I just don't see the need.