How do you back up your S Note notebooksSupport

1. 13ilgal

13ilgal Well-Known Member

Preferably automatically, in the background, without using Kies.

Any suggestions or feedback welcome.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

Google and Samsung.
    13ilgal likes this.
  3. 13ilgal

Haha. Duh. That was too easy. Sometimes I overlook the obvious. Thanks! :eek::D

4. ElviraKate

ElviraKate Member

I too would like to back up my notes, and avoid using Kies, but I don't understand this answer. What do you mean 'Google and Samsung'?
  5. 13ilgal

In the Notes app, click Options (the three stacked lines in upper right corner) and choose Sync.

You will be asked where you want to sync. I chose Google, and the Note then backed up a copy of my Notes (the .snb files) to the Google Drive associated with my account.
    Szadzik and Caveman419 like this.
  6. davidfarquhar

davidfarquhar Active Member

Within s-notes there is a Sync option which let's you backup to Google Drive or Evernote. You can backup one or all notes.

Its a fairly basic sync in the sense that it just does a straight file and folder comparison. So if you move a file on your s-note but not on google drive it will then sync each file to the other device so you end up with two copies. So you need to replicate any moves or renames on both s-notes and your backup location.

I also connect my Note to my Windows laptop each week and copy the s-notes and documents folders to my laptop. This then backs up automatically to our work servers

I also have the backup settings configured to backup to google and samsung but I don't know if that backs up documents or just setting
    bcswimbtx likes this.
  7. davidfarquhar

Within s-notes there is a Sync option which let's you backup to Google Drive or Evernote. You can backup one or all notes.

Its a fairly basic sync in the sense that it just does a straight file and folder comparison. So if you move a file on your s-note but not on google drive it will then sync each file to the other device so you end up with two copies. So you need to replicate any moves or renames on both s-notes and your backup location.

I also connect my Note to my Windows laptop each week and copy the s-notes and documents folders to my laptop. This then backs up automatically to our work servers

I also have the backup settings configured to backup to google and samsung but I don't know if that backs up documents or just settings
  8. Caveman419

Caveman419 Well-Known Member

Great info!! I am so blond sometimes.:)
  9. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

Documents only.
  10. bcswimbtx

bcswimbtx Member

Thanks! And, I really need to back up my notes to the micro sd card... is that possible? Can you explain how to do that?
  11. bcswimbtx

bcswimbtx Member

Thanks. That's helpful but I really need to avoid the cloud and back up S Notes directly to the micro sd card... I need to be able to work with (at least review) the notes on my laptop too. Can you explain how to back and transfer the notes into the lap top (with micro sd card and/or without) I appreciate it.
  12. davidfarquhar

The files are stored in the S Note folder on the tablet. You should be able to use the files application to copy this folder to the micro SD card.

You can also connect the Note to your laptop and copy that folder to your laptop, but they won't be readable on the laptop. The best option is to export an S-Note as PDF. This goes into the S Note Exports folder on the tablet, and can then be copied over to your laptop and viewed there

My semi regular backup routine is to export any completed S Notes as PDFs. Then occasionally copy these folders to my laptop - Documents, S Note, S Note Export and ezPDFReader (separate application). Once they are on the laptop they'll be picked up by my company's normal backup processes.

I also have a separate directory on the laptop for the PDF copies of my work S-Notes - the export routine keeps multiple versions in the S Note Export folder and I only want one final copy to review on the laptop
    bcswimbtx likes this.
  13. ChrisENote

ChrisENote Active Member

I know you want to avoid the cloud but I will share this method another forum member told me. I use dropbox instead of google drive (actually it still goes to google for belt & braces backup) . Then I use an app called dropsync which not only backs up to dropbox but adds lots more control inluding auto-sync to other devices as soon as changes are made.

So my 10.1 note has selected folders auto- sync'd to my laptop, note2 phone and dropbox.

I found the normal sync options described above a bit restrictive and not entirely clear how they worked. After I lost a load of work I started using dropsync. I still sometimes get conflicted copies but it keeps both so I can sort it out.
    bcswimbtx likes this.
  14. bcswimbtx

bcswimbtx Member

Thanks David. I want to do exactly what you are doing but I haven't sorted out how yet. I am having trouble copying into the extSdcard and; I can't figure out how to connect my Galaxy tab 10.1 to the computer.

I am poking around in "my files" The tablet sees the extSdCard and it sees notes in S Notes, I select the notes and my options are to share or to copy. If I copy it puts the copy into the S Notes folder ...

Do you connect the tablet to your laptop wirelessly? Through blue tooth... ? Is there any way to use a usb converter?

I am searching accessories for a docking station but haven found one for the Galaxy Note 10.1, nor can I find a 10 pin to usb converter.
  15. bcswimbtx

bcswimbtx Member

Thanks Chris... It seems that I have synced to Samsung account (SAFE ??) I'm not sure but there is a little icon that seems to be trying to reassure me that my notes have been saved to the cloud... I don't want them there and I don't know (yet) how to find them there :-( I think I have also save some of them to dropbox... also, don't want to be in the cloud... and now I need to destroy them!

The goal: take all my s notes and get them in a file format that I can read on my laptop and have them stored (indefinitely) on an external hard drive.
  16. davidfarquhar

@bcswimbtx - mine is a Windows laptop so I just use the USB cable that came with the tablet. You need to have it unlocked for this to work

For Mac OS I have tried Airdrop and it worked OK, but my primary usage is at work with my work laptop which is windows