• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you backup your sms?

4ndr01d

Jan 26, 2010
Hi guys, I'm thinking to upgrade the firmware of my android phone.

Currently I'm still using firmware version 1.5. Before doing that, I need to backup all my data. May I know how do you that and which software that you prefer? I did google and found this.

1. SMS Backup & Restore
device2-200x300.png

SMS Backup & Restore - Android Stuff

2. android-sms Backup Android SMS to Gmail
Downloads - android-sms - Project Hosting on Google Code

However, I'm not sure to try it or not as login your username & password into unknown application might be dangerous as we don't know what is inside the software. Probably the developer intentionally put something like a keylogger where it can record our username & password and send it back to him/her.

Please advice. Thanks in advance

I've installed SMS Backup+, which is an ongoing development based on the original SMS Backup (which I don't think is still maintained). It works well, does the call log and MMS too. It will restore call log & SMS, but not MMS,

I'm not over-paranoid about developers, but I'm pretty sure that SMS Backup+ just hooks into Gmail through an API and doesn't explicitly need to know your password. I don't remember entering them, and it doesn't have any record in its preferences.

HTH, Rick
HTC Desire-Z, AOS 2.2.1

Reactions: 4ndr01d
Upvote 0
I've installed SMS Backup+, which is an ongoing development based on the original SMS Backup (which I don't think is still maintained). It works well, does the call log and MMS too. It will restore call log & SMS, but not MMS,

I'm not over-paranoid about developers, but I'm pretty sure that SMS Backup+ just hooks into Gmail through an API and doesn't explicitly need to know your password. I don't remember entering them, and it doesn't have any record in its preferences.

HTH, Rick
HTC Desire-Z, AOS 2.2.1
Thanks Rick for the explanation.
I notice that SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel is slightly different from SMS Backup by Christoph Studer.
screen

SMS Backup + - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones