• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you buy stuff on Google Play

plnelson

Aug 21, 2010
I know this is a real noob question. I'm not really an Android noob - I own 3 Android devices and work as an Android programmer - but we ship our products with our app already installed on custom Android devices, so I have very little dealing with Google Play.

I've downloaded lots of free apps for my 2 Android phones and my tablet, but I've never bought an app. How do you pay for it? I don't want to leave a credit-card on file with anyone. Both my Mastercard (Citibank) and my Visa card (BankofAmerica) let me create "virtual" account numbers - these are single-use credit card numbers and that's how I buy stuff online all the time.

I sometimes see pay apps that I want to buy but I don't know how to pay for them.

There are now Play gift cards for this!!! I haven't seen them yet but I have seen articles saying they are out.

+1 they aren't out yet but the rumor is that they will be available on August 26th in Target(I'm sure other stores too, but the article I read on here only showed target). You can wait and buy the prepaid card when it comes out without the need of a credit card. :)

Upvote 0
+1 they aren't out yet but the rumor is that they will be available on August 26th in Target(I'm sure other stores too, but the article I read on here only showed target). You can wait and buy the prepaid card when it comes out without the need of a credit card. :)

But if I want to buy something today is Google Wallet my only option?

I'd like something where I can charge it up with a specific amount of money - say $25 - and spend 'til that's used up. That limits my risk. If Google really wants to use a "wallet" metaphor then that would be like having $25 cash in my wallet - if someone steals my wallet they get $25 but that's all.

I don't want to leave my credit card information with anyone because there have been a zillion cases with major corporations in recent years where people had their credit card information compromised - that's why I single-use virtual account numbers.

Upvote 0
But if I want to buy something today is Google Wallet my only option?

I'd like something where I can charge it up with a specific amount of money - say $25 - and spend 'til that's used up. That limits my risk. If Google really wants to use a "wallet" metaphor then that would be like having $25 cash in my wallet - if someone steals my wallet they get $25 but that's all.

I don't want to leave my credit card information with anyone because there have been a zillion cases with major corporations in recent years where people had their credit card information compromised - that's why I single-use virtual account numbers.

Banks in my country offer what they call Visa and Mastercard debit cards. Basically they look like ATMs with their own account numbers, which you can top up with a value of equivalent to a minimum of $10 to a max of $300. They say you can use that on Google Play but haven't tried yet. You could ask your bank if they offer something similar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones