How do you change SMS ringtones?Support

Last Updated:

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I realize you can change them to numerous default sounds, but I was trying to figure out how to change it to an actual song downloaded. I've done this on my blackberry, and I know there has to be an option, but I'm just missing it. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member

you need to change your downloaded song to a ringtone - use ringdroid or something similar.

Then you want to go to messages > settings > notification sound > then pick the song you want

3. woogyboogy

Ok, thank you for that part, Now my question is, How do I set those Notification songs for each individual person. Basically, I want a different text message song for each person on my contacts list, Is this possible? Thanks!

4. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member

Once you have your ringtones selected..

Open people icon > tap contact you want to change ringtone > under "information" you'll see "Ringtone" - tap "Ringtone" and select song you want, then hit ok

5. woogyboogy

Thats as a call ringtone, I'm talking about a text message ring tone. Do you know how to do that? Not the default songs either. Thanks

6. TzuDohNihm

TzuDohNihm Well-Known Member

I doubt you will be able to change individual text message tones. I have only been able to figure out how to get non-standard tones into the messaging app. Applying a different ringtone to contact messages? Not sure this is achievable.

7. woogyboogy

There has to be a way, especially if I can do it on my BB Pearl...

8. surreaList

surreaList New Member

This functionality can be attained with either Handcent SMS or Ringo.

9. woogyboogy

So your saying by downloading either one of these apps you can set individual text message ringtones?

10. woogyboogy

Can anyone else help me with this? I tried with Handcent and couldn't find what I was looking for. I know there has to be someway to do this..

11. oc|-titan

oc|-titan Member

Woogyboogy, you have to set up a chat thread for each of the individuals you are wanting to change the options for (simply sending them a test text message will add a chat thread for them on the program's main screen)

then just open the chat thread and tap on the top right settings button within the contact's thread and it will give you options that are only applicable for that particular contact. Doing this you can change the font/font color, bubble color, background color, notification icon, led color on some phones like the droid, and what you were looking for, the text ringer =)

This is using Handcent as an example, i have no experience with other chat programs. I have been using Handcent SMS on both my droid and my incredible and they update often.

12. woogyboogy

Ok, thanks everyone!

13. titos1997

titos1997 Member

I use sms popup from the market place it works great