how do you disable the mobile version of a website for the nexus 1?Support

Last Updated:

1. newman1022

newman1022 Member This Topic's Starter

so i have an n1 for at&t and i just got the ota update for froyo last night. today i'm trying out the default web browser to see what kinds of flash videos i can see. i already downloaded the flash player from the market. plus i went into the setting for the browser with regards to "about:debug" then changed the UAString to desktop. but for some reason when i go to a website like nbc.com to try and go watch a full episode of the office, it only loads the mobile version of the site. also when i check out the facebook page it always automatically loads the "touch" version of the site. how can i get it to default to the desktop regular full site version? can anyone tell me a way around this or a setting change other than try a different browser?

thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    AnotherFatalEpic likes this.
  2. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I haven't found a way to do this w/ stock browser. But if you download Dolphin HD or Skyfire they let you change to "desktop" in settings. This will solve your problem.

However, both of those browsers were too buggy for me to keep so I ended up uninstalling. Skyfire looks VERY promising.

NOTE: this was also my workaround for videos in youtube saying 'not supported on mobile' but if you set to desktop they play just fine :D

3. newman1022

ya, i have skyfire as well but i was hoping there was a working around for the stock browser to just register as a desktop version at all times.

4. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

Ok so go the MSNBC and while you are in there, in the address bar put: about:debug, and enter.. nothing will happen but its ok, go to menue/settings/uastrings, and select desktop even is it is selected already, go back and reload and it should do the trick for u.

5. newman1022

that worked for changing msnbc.com from the mobile version to the desktop version, but then i went and tried the same thing for nbc.com and it didnt work. it keeps just loading the mobile site, which doesnt give me access to watch full episodes of shows online.

thanks.

any other ideas?

6. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

It works.. try cleaning up ur cookies and cache... I just watched a few mins of chuck (awesome show bty).. but be aware its very sluggish and choppy... provably skyfire is ur best option since all the heavy work is done thru their servers

7. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Also, double check your APN settings are not set to WAP - you should have a set of internet (3g or similar) settings in your APN as default

These will also force mobile websites.

8. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

*****Step by step instructions to view full desktop versions of websites****
    (Also can be used to see iPhone optimized websites as well)

In the stock browser, type "about:debug" in the web address field, then hit go. It will appear as if nothing happened. Hit the "menu" button, tap "more," scroll down and you'll notice that some extra options have appeared. Tap "settings" and then scroll down to the bottom. Tap "UAString" and select "Desktop." Now you will only see the full desktop versions of websites. Repeat the steps if you ever want to change the settings back.

Dartmoor Hawker and Roze like this.
  9. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

Ok, ignore my last post. I just saw the heading but i didn't bother reading any of the previous posts, so i ended up just repeating what everyone else has said.

10. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has mentioned xScope here before? If you think skyfire and dolphin are buggy you could try this one. The only peeve is that flash displays over the little menu but I don't even use that. It's not perfect, hut better then stock it seems :)

11. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

THANK YOU guys for the "about:debug"!! Now I don't have to install Skyfire every time I'm having an issue... (I much prefer Stock Browser so I uninstall Skyfire as soon as I'm done with whatever site I was having problems with)

I set a bookmark on my Home to "about:debug" and titled it Desktop so now when I have issues with a site I can click the bookmark and the extra settings reappear! :D (unfortunately it won't load automatically as if it were a website, I have to manually hit GO after I open bookmark).

Now if there were a way to get the "Desktop" setting to the regular menu with easy access, that would be much better.

But I can deal with tapping home, the shortcut, then GO, then entering settings and changing it -- for right now I guess.