How do you do a "real" hard reset to reload 2.1

Last Updated:

1. davekaye

davekaye Active Member This Topic's Starter

I installed 2.1 when it came out using the instructions, but my Hero remains unstable. Freezes on every 3rd/4th reboot. So I decided I needed to re-install, but first I need to do a "real" hard reset. I remember reading on one thread - not sure where - to call Sprint Advanced Technical Services and they will walk you through a hard reset that uses some unlock number that only they posses. So I called. The first lady told me to type in ##365408# and then I followed her through a series of menus that got me nowhere. She transferred me to another CS rep who then transferred me to a 3rd rep who said just hit the Home-Back Arrow-Start keys, which I told him I did originally and wanted a "real" hard reset, not just clear all my storage. He then told me to go to Settings/Security where I would find a menu item for a hard reset, but there was no menu item. He was baffled-didn't know why it didn't show up. I got nowhere so I ended the call to use this forum.
    ***Can anybody tell me what a real hard reset so I can reload 2.1?
    Do I have to call Sprint Advanced Tech Support? What methods are really available and which work. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. caliboy99

caliboy99 Well-Known Member

A master reset restores the original factory settings and will erase all downloaded content, including ringtones, contacts stored in the handset memory, etc. It does not erase data stored on the SIM card or memory card (if available). Back up all necessary data on the device memory before proceeding.
    Menu Path Method:

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu Button and select Settings.
    2. Select Security.
    3. Select Factory data reset.
    4. Select Reset phone.
    5. Select Erase everything.
    6. The device will dump all of the data and reload.

Key Stroke Method

1. Power the device OFF.
    2. Press and hold the HOME and Back Arrow buttons. While holding these buttons, press the End Call button once.
      Release the Home and Back Arrow buttons and press the Trackball to execute the Hard Reset.
    3. The device will reboot once the process is complete.

SuperDave70 likes this.
  3. victrola

victrola Member

will this method take off the 2.1 update and bring it back to the stock 1.5 OS?

4. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

No it wont. Once you've updated to the unrooted Sprint/HTC 2.1 there's no going back (until someone gets root access - stay tuned). This will just start you with a clean slate 2.1.

victrola likes this.
  5. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

If you used the 2.1 Update from Sprint/HTC, No.

Once you go 2.1, there's no going back.

Unless you are rooted and installed a custom 2.1 rom, then you can simply flash a new rom.

Also, if you are rooted, you can perform a data wipe from recovery that will clear everything.

Edit: Dangit Eyebeam, beat me to it. :p

Edit2: This just in, the guys at XDA have rooted 2.1 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694572

Looks like you can try the Sprint 2.1, and if you don;t like it, just root.

6. thomas9usa

thomas9usa New Member

how can i do hard reset on my htc hero sprint, cause i have some problems with 2.1 and i think i installed something bad, and i wanna re-install 2.1, thanks.

7. davekaye

davekaye Active Member This Topic's Starter

I originally posted this thread. Since then, I've searched the forums and come up with two threads that seems to have stabilized my 2.1 over the last few days, and also made the battery last longer. The first thread was a hard reset, where you have to call Sprint Technical Support for an appropriate password. Here is the thread.
    I don't remember if I had to scroll for the reset, or press the Menu button, but this completely resets your phone after Sprint gives you a password. Then I followed the install instructions from this thread including deleting all old .exe files and starting new.
    I had all my apps and data stored with MyBackupPro, so that is how I reinstalled (except Contacts and Calendar because I use them with Google and you don't want to double install them because everything will come up twice). The only difference in my installation is almost after each step, I shut down my phone when the step was done, took out the battery, replaced, and then rebooted.
    Now I don't know why, but my Hero is now working better than ever and I have voice to text which was a 2.1 feature I really wanted to try. So basically, my tendency, until proven otherwise, was my initial reset didn't really clear out everything (although Sprint CS will tell you what they do is the same). But try the RTN hard reset before you start over again. Just a word of caution - my first CS in Advanced Technical Support did not know what the RTN reset was. I had to call a second time after more detective work on the forums. Good Luck.