• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you enter a Backtick or Grave Accent " ` " on Incredible?

I have searched everywhere on the forums and Google and can't seem to find how to type the special character referred to as a Backtick or more accurately known as a Grave Accent. It is the character usually located just under the ESC key on your keyboard and is usually shared with the Tilde (~).

From my searches I have learned that this character is often used in certain programming languages and such.

I need this character on my Incredible as I use it in many of my passwords.

It seems that phones with a physical keyboard have a way to type the backtick using a set of keystrokes. I used to have a Blackberry Storm and its soft keyboard contained this character.

I am curious if there is a way to add special characters to the stock HTC keyboard on the second page of special characters/numbers, as there are five blank buttons that are not in use.

I have confirmed that the phone can use/display this character as I texted the character to my phone and use it to copy and paste the character in my passwords (not the most efficient thing to do, but so far it is the only thing that works). Also, I have tried to paste this backtick character as a custom word in the user dictionary, but the phone will not support the character in the dictionary.

I would appreciate someone's help as it appears that a few people with other HTC phones are encountering a similar issue.

I'm going to bump this as I'm having the same exact issue. It seems there is no way to enter this character on the SenseUI keyboard, or even with Swype. I used to have a Droid and was able to enter a backtick using the software keyboard.

Thanks for the tip on emailing myself and copying and pasting in the meantime. That will be a lifesaver!

Upvote 0
The character is available on EVERY letter that the character would be normally used on if you hold the keys down. If you are looking for the character by itself then yeah, you may have an issue.

Yep, looking for the character by itself...the one that is usually located on the same key as the tilde. It is commonly used in programming and in passwords as it is a relatively obscure character.

Upvote 0
Smart keyboard pro has it. ` just press ?123 then apt where the uppercase button is.

Thanks for the tip. The smart keyboard does have the backtick `. I am typing this with the Smart keyboard now; my only complaint is that the keyboard is very slow. It is a good workaround though.

Until HTC fixes their keyboard i guess this is what we are stuck with.

Upvote 0
Fastest keyboard and require minimal amount of memory is "DE trial keyboard on demand" . This keyboard have no any dictionary and therefore faster. It require minimal amount of memory, "Grave Accent" can be pressed inside special characters page (this page activated using "123" and "ALT"), symbol required inside first row.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones