How do you even USE GPS?Support

Last Updated:

1. pac0naut

pac0naut Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, with all this GPS stuff, I've never used mine, but I wanted to see if it works. I'm on the line with AT&T right now.

!: Do you need that $10 a month ATT Navigator plan for this to work or should the standard google maps work?

2: When in Google maps or places or Google earth, my little satellite icon blinks, but never stays steady. When I go to my location it tells me it cannot be found. This is inside and outside.

3: I downloaded a GPS Test app. Says my GPS is on, 1 view none in use. How do you see what satellites you're hooked up to?

Sorry to be a freaking n00b....

Advertisement
  2. ShannonPricePhoto

ShannonPricePhoto Active Member

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

No, you don't need the $10/mo AT&T Navigator plan. That's a ripoff. Just use Google Maps, it comes with Google Navigator.

AT&T even tries to charge a monthly fee for the Where app (which is free for all other phones) as well as pushes "IM" apps that actually use text messages so they can charge you for every "IM".

Like you're seeing, there are lots of free apps out there that use the GPS just fine. The GPS hardware is enabled in your phone and doesn't require any special monthly fee to use.

4. ace35

ace35 Well-Known Member

GPS TEST is the name of the test app, if you are outdoors and run this app it shows the number of sat's it can see and a map as to where they are in the sky. after it locks on the sat's it is using will turn green, and show you how accurate it is.

the flashing sat in the notice bar will go solid when you get a lock, and the wireless assist will get you close after a minute.

as far as what i use GPS for, mostly with gas buddy to find cheep gasoline near by.

5. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

My buddy just went from 10 year old razor to the captivate and swears all he has is at&t navigator, no google nav. Is this true or how do i access it, i see someone said it comes with google maps. Does that mean it can ONLY be accessed from within google maps? On mine(incredible) i can just hit the voice search button and say 'navigate to...' to start it up???

Ps moving to support section

6. lordhamster

lordhamster Well-Known Member

Have him go to the Market and download the free Google Navigator. That will put an icon into his APPs folder.

It looks like a great program, but my phone's GPS never worked so I didn't get to try it. AT&T Nav is a ripoff.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  7. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Yea no doubt, vzw nav is the same way. Best part was it didn't come on my phone.... until the Froyo update, now its there running in the background.:mad::mad:
    Thanks, didn't even think to tell him to look in the market