• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you exit (completely) a app when you are in one?

I've found that Advanced Task Killer works great for it. It sucks that they have an ad in the free version. I'd buy it if it weren't $4.99...that's a little steep. $2 at most.

I tried TaskKiller but I had to reboot because it let me shut down something I REALLY wasn't supposed to. Plus Advanced Task Killer automatically highlights good things to shut down for me. So when I'm done playing with the phone, all I have to do is open it from the notification panel, click KILL, and be done.

Upvote 0
I think people are getting hung up on this and its really not necessary on this phone it seems. I have been running mine wide open since 7 yesterday and not killing any apps and its still running smooth as can be and getting great battery life. Maybe its just me but i think some people seem to be worrying about the open apps way too much

Upvote 0
There is no need to worry about that apps that seem to be running.

Android is designed to keep your most recent activities "near by" so that if you return to them, they'll be there fast.

When you open a new activity, the previous one is paused and should consume no resources (except some memory), and this should not impact your battery.

This design improves the user experience (speed), but I think Google has done a poor job of describing it to the general public. Most of us have PC backgrounds, and we think of something that is "still loaded" as still consuming CPU and power.

Scott.

Upvote 0
There is no need to worry about that apps that seem to be running.

Android is designed to keep your most recent activities "near by" so that if you return to them, they'll be there fast.

When you open a new activity, the previous one is paused and should consume no resources (except some memory), and this should not impact your battery.

This design improves the user experience (speed), but I think Google has done a poor job of describing it to the general public. Most of us have PC backgrounds, and we think of something that is "still loaded" as still consuming CPU and power.

Scott.

What he said.

I've actually noticed my battery life is a little bit worse when I'm actively using a task killing app rather than just letting the OS handle processes on its own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones