How do you exit (completely) a app when you are in one?

Last Updated:

1. someguy9

someguy9 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a button you can hold to completely exit a app while you are in it so it doesn't run the background, I don't like having 12 programs running all the time

Advertisement
  2. sukTHEfac

sukTHEfac Member

yeah this is an annoyance we've all noticed. hopefully there will be a fix.

the best solution is to check the App market for free apps. there are a few but my fav is called "Advanced Task Killer" just do a search for it

3. someguy9

someguy9 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got that app, it's just awful doing it that way

4. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

Yeah you can get a task killer I use 'TasKiller' it's nice.

or you can make a shortcut to Settings>Running Services and shut them off one by one there.

5. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

I've found that Advanced Task Killer works great for it. It sucks that they have an ad in the free version. I'd buy it if it weren't $4.99...that's a little steep. $2 at most.

I tried TaskKiller but I had to reboot because it let me shut down something I REALLY wasn't supposed to. Plus Advanced Task Killer automatically highlights good things to shut down for me. So when I'm done playing with the phone, all I have to do is open it from the notification panel, click KILL, and be done.

6. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I thought the whole Eclair thing was suposed to be 'run up to 6 apps at once' and there is no way to kill them because you dont have to, if it gets low on resources it will kill them for you? I dont have mine yet just recalling the reviews I have seen...

7. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

I think that's the general consensus on why you don't close apps, once it's out of memory it closes them for you to gain memory.

It's a strain on battery life though.

8. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

I think people are getting hung up on this and its really not necessary on this phone it seems. I have been running mine wide open since 7 yesterday and not killing any apps and its still running smooth as can be and getting great battery life. Maybe its just me but i think some people seem to be worrying about the open apps way too much

9. Scott

Scott Active Member

There is no need to worry about that apps that seem to be running.

Android is designed to keep your most recent activities "near by" so that if you return to them, they'll be there fast.

When you open a new activity, the previous one is paused and should consume no resources (except some memory), and this should not impact your battery.

This design improves the user experience (speed), but I think Google has done a poor job of describing it to the general public. Most of us have PC backgrounds, and we think of something that is "still loaded" as still consuming CPU and power.

Scott.

10. spfulfill

spfulfill Member

I was just wondering if I was missing something because I could never find a way to close something. I always just hit home. I was feeling like I was doing something wrong but this makes sense (kinda).

11. rumisra

rumisra New Member

You can exit an application without downloading anything, and it will also save your battery life.

Here's how:

Settings - Applications- Running services- and just click on the one's you want to stop.

12. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

What he said.

I've actually noticed my battery life is a little bit worse when I'm actively using a task killing app rather than just letting the OS handle processes on its own.

13. mifi

mifi New Member

some apps can be close by backing all the way out using the back key, instead of using the home key

14. rondo777

rondo777 Well-Known Member

I was running the app killer program for a few days when I first got the phone. It was a PITA and I had read enough comments saying that it wasnt nessessary. I uninstalled it about 2 weeks ago and my Droid is running fast and the battery life is actually very good

15. baddriver

baddriver Well-Known Member

+1