How do you find rogue background app/service that keeps using GPS?

Last Updated: 2013-02-03 08:55:19
  1. New Daddy

New Daddy Active Member

How do you find out which app service is lurking in the background? Even after a reboot, my Droid 4 constantly checks the GPS position every five second. It not only drains the battery, but it really makes using the notification area impossible, because the GPS notification keeps popping up and going away every five second.

Long pressing the home button only displays active apps. There is a thread on searching for a rogue app/service but that won't tell me which one is using the GPS.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-4g/652385-how-find-rogue-app-battery-killer.html

Advertisement
  2. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

GSam Battery Monitor has an option under their batter sucking area called 'GPS time used' which would list those apps using the GPS during the current charge cycle. It's also a great app for finding those pesky apps that cause Stay Awake status on your phone.

You could always turn your GPS off. Unless you use Navigation or an app like Tasker, the GPS is not needed that often.
    breadnatty08 and New Daddy like this.
  3. New Daddy

New Daddy Active Member

That was really helpful! GSam Battery help me identify the rogue app with ease. The app - a GPS ski app called phresheez (https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5waHJlc2hlZXoucGhyZXNoZWV6Il0.) - was running in the background. I have tons of different sports/fitness apps installed that log GPS location, but have never seen an app that launches itself upon reboot, without even notifying the user. It doesn't even provide an option that can turn this auto-launch off. Who knows what else the app was doing. I immediately removed the app.
  4. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Good to hear. Yeah, some developers just don't take the whole user experience (battery life, etc.) into consideration.