• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you Find the Widgets and icon file

If you actually want to change system icons, you'll need to replace the existing ones in framework-res.apk, resign the apk, then push it back to system (adb or a flashable zip, not just copying it there). If you're talking about an app icon, the it's about the same, but you'd need to copy the apk to your computer, make the change, resign it, then just install it as normal or push it to /system/app. If you just want to pull out the icons, that's pretty easy.

From akaza

Upvote 0
usually in non-system apps the icon is in the .apk file under res/drawable folders, you can pull it from there, drop in your new one and resign then install/push.

For system apps you'll have to look in the framework-res.apk-drawable folders, there are like 5 of them...then resign and flash or adb push as outlined by akaza, just giving more detail as to the location.

Upvote 0
Yep. A widget, though, is part of an app. If an apk has been modified for a particular ROM, and you like the look of it, you can grab the apk for whatever the app is, and just install it in another ROM, assuming you don't have the app already installed on the other ROM. This is *not* the case for anything that is already a part of the system (the search widget, for example). That requires a little more work.

Upvote 0
thanks for covering, forgot he asked about widgets...my clear pandora follows me everywhere...so does red and blue swype keyboards, gots ta have my colorful swypes :)

Cool so it can be done.. cause the clock on this on stinks. I liked the stock version with the sleep mode and alarm right there ... I got an alarm from the market but didn't go off this morning...
Sence I have the nandroid of the stock rom form doing the GPS fix can I use that? And in root exploror I'm assumming it will be a system app what will the name be...... and do I just drag and drop a pc36 to get it in there or should I remove the old one and then drop it.....

Upvote 0
There are clock widgets on xda you can flash in recovery also, are you on a sense rom in which you are trying to use this sense clock?

rename the one in there or move it to a safe place in case ya need to go back, copy it to system/app, set permisson, user:rw group:r other:r and reboot. should work. nandroid first though. im sleepy lol...im not sure what you are moving but make sure it doesnt have a corresponding lib.so file, clocks probably dont but just check im too tired to check :) In some apps there is a corresponding lib.so file you need to push to /syste,/lib

Edit: sense clock aint gonna work on aosp...there are similar clocks over on xda for aosp you can install

Edit: I use flipclock black out app if i happen to want a flip clock, usually just use minimalist text though

Upvote 0
Ok I'm going to need an asop flip clock.. is there any like the sence version

fancy widget, beautiful widget, surf xda it has a bunch, i have some i can probably share later, they just install like a normal app...i cant now though, hit me up later if ya want. ill link ya my dropbox or something...mine are all red or blue though lol. better off searching xda for them. in themes or whatever.

Upvote 0
Right, there is very little Sense based stuff that will ever work on an AOSP ROM. That's kind of the point really ;). I'm not sure if you've ever used a Sense ROM with the AOSP lock screen, but it has an issue where the alarm will never turn off. To get around it, you need to use the AOSP deskclock. In this case, you're trying to do the opposite. For one, expect the clock itself to not work right. As for the flipclock widget, that will never work outside of the Sense launcher, even in a Sense ROM.

Your best bet is to do exactly what evomattnc suggested, and get a clock widget of your choice. In addition to that, if you don't like the alarm now, get a different alarm app. With the combination of a clock widget that allows you to open whatever app you want, and an actual alarm app, you can have something that, in my opinion, is better than what AOSP or Sense provides. I use Beautiful Widgets (on and off) with Gentle Alarm. There are countless combinations, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones