• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you flash a modem??

artvandalay22222

Android Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2010
DETROIT MI!
MODEM RECOMMENDATION: Please flash JPY modem, enable WCDMA 850 (by typing *#2263# - COMBI BANDS - WCDMA 850 (FDD V) [*]. If the star is not there, tap on that line)and see how is battery life. For me is great. If you have battery drain, you might want to do this. If your connection drops, go to settings - wifi settings - mobile networks and set the type of network to the one has most coverage on your area.

I want to try the Continuum Rom again. On THIS page I read the above comment about flashing a Modem.

Is this done before I flash the Rom? Is it done After? Do I just put the modem on the sdcard and rename it to update.zip?

Thanks for any help

Modem flash is generally done AFTER the ROM install. Depending on the modem package, you can install them through ClockworkMod Recovery or Odin3/Heimdall. It really depends on what modem package you download and want to install...

I just looked at the JPY modem in that thread, and it looks like a ClockworkMod Recovery install package.

I really don't know why that dev doesn't just include the modem in the ROM. Most devs putting out ROMs don't make you flash the ROM, and then modem as well....

Upvote 0
I flashed it once before and I thought it was awesome. Then after about a day I turned the phone on and got an endless loop of force closes, so I reflashed cognition 3.0.4.

I really want to retry this one but im kinda scared ya know, what if that force close loop happens while im at work. I rely on my phone at work.

Reactions: lilmurray
Upvote 0
Modem flash is generally done AFTER the ROM install. Depending on the modem package, you can install them through ClockworkMod Recovery or Odin3/Heimdall. It really depends on what modem package you download and want to install...

I just looked at the JPY modem in that thread, and it looks like a ClockworkMod Recovery install package.

I really don't know why that dev doesn't just include the modem in the ROM. Most devs putting out ROMs don't make you flash the ROM, and then modem as well....

The rom developers's response to that question:

JPY is recommended but is not bundled for various resons. One of the would be the lack of native WCDMA 850MHz band support, it needs to be enabled manually or you need to set GSM network type in Settings - Wireless - Mobile Networks.

So Im trying to understand, I dont need to flash JPY, but it is recommended.

And to flash JPY, I first flash the new rom, then I download clockwork mod and ROM manager from market and use it to flash the JPY modem. To do that I need to put the JPY modem on the sdcard first.

Is that right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones