• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you get non-blurry contact pictures

Similar problem and still searching for a permanent solution - I set a picture from the SD card as a Contact photo and it's fine at first, it eventually goes blurry in Favourites. I don't have any gmail contacts.

@timandra - I downloaded an app called SyncMyPix, it seems to use Facebook photos only if you don't have one set from the phone. You can later override a Facebook photo, and it doesn't seem to switch back when you sync contacts Facebook. Seems to work for me, but I've no idea how...

The only trouble with Syncmypix is that it also uses low quality pictures, i did as mentioned in the eralier post and made a second contact on the phone with a good quality picture attached then linked it with the main contact, it works well, and also i use Handcent and that does not show multiple contacts, unlike the stock messaging app ;)

But i have set facebook (not facebook for HTC Sense) not to sync contacts as this was giving me all sorts of problems within the peoples app, i had an extra section come up saying "com.facebook.auth.login" and for some reason the contact list just kept getting biiger & bigger, i only have 196fb friends but this was over 300!!

Pete

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is still going on, I don't wanna revive old threads, but I've found a fix for this issue.

First off you need to make sure your google calendar or fbcal.com is unchecked :
-go to phone's menu, select calendar, hit 'menu' button, select 'more', go to 'calendars', uncheck google calendar (it may be displayed as gmail calendar)

After you have done that, uninstall your facebook for Android (you can install it later) is order to unsync your contacts so there will be no pics assigned.

Now comes the important part :
-go to phone's menu, select 'people', slide the screen selector over to 'online directories', select 'facebook', sign in........and you're done. Now you've activated "Facebook for HTC Sense", it's gonna sync by itself, the pictures will be crystal clear (will have the small blue facebook 'f' in the bottom left corner)

You can now install facebook for android back on your phone, but make sure you don't sync your contacts, or else you'll be back where you started !

Hope it helps !

Upvote 0
I came across these posts regarding contact pics getting blurry(pixelated) and after a lot of research I've found a easy fix. I have to say that its part google's fault and HTC trickery, the pics gets blurry because of google's resolution 96x96, but also because HTC dont let you choose to wich one you want to sync the pic if you do not use HTC Facebook app and HTC twitter app.

In resume;

1 - Uninstall Facebook for android
2 - Login to facebook with Facebook for HTC Sense
3 - Sync your contacts with Facebook for HTC Sense in Accounts&Sync
4 - Go to People widget and select your contact
5 - Click to edit your contact
6 - Click on the picture of your contact, now you are able to see an option on "Select contact photo" like "Facebook for HTC Sense"
7 - Choose that pic and it will update to a cristal clear pic.

Wait a while before downloading and installing facebook for Android again, like 30 minutes, and after you install it, go to accounts&sync again, click on the facebook account and uncheck to update contacts.

Now the problem should be fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones