How do you guys deal with the news that your phone will not be updated?

Last Updated:

1. trance2315

trance2315 New Member This Topic's Starter

Damn Motorola..

Advertisement
  2. batgeek

batgeek Banned

1) shrug and deal with it
    2) root/ROM
    3) wait for available upgrade time and get new phone
    4) screw the upgrade and spring the cash for a new phone

3. Bnice

Bnice Guest

When i purchase a phone,its for what it offers right then and now. I don't expect an up date but the reality is most phones will have some sort of issue and if an update is needed to improve that performance i will take it.

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

My MyTouch 3G is now a pig after the Android 2.2.1 FRG83D update.

Lesson. Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes an update is not good for the phone.

I learned all my painful lessons of upgrading before. Still reluctant to even upgrade my iPod Touch to iOS 4.2.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

^ This. If updates are important then look into a device with a good modding community. I haven't run stock Android updates for my device for a long time and the custom ROM's tend to release much earlier than the stock updates.

6. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the root/rom method. I came from a L.G Dare that was at the end of life when I bought it. When my contract was nearing its end, I started researching. My quest for knowledge led me here, and after a ton of reading I came to the conclusion that my next needed to be rootable and likely supported by the dev community.

P.S My short answer to your question was "Rant..Rave..Curse at the sky!!!:D"

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Chocolate. Lots of it.

CriticalCritic likes this.
  8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

There is no such thing as a phone that won't update if it is rooted and has developers behind it. ;)

9. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

+2...I have no worries about OEM updates.

10. happy0506

happy0506 Well-Known Member

cry, bitch and moan about it. maybe threaten to burn down the house of the ceo of your phone's manufacturer.

then, come to the sobering realization that you're going to have to fork our some serious dough to get the latest and greatest phone.

wait six months, repeat. :eek:

11. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

I have been dealing with it for about a year with my G1 so nothing new here lol. Its so low on the end of features these days and its slow as hell.

12. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I just buy a new phone. I can't keep a phone for even a whole year, I like having the latest and greatest :D

13. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

I've been using my G1 for about a year and a half as I got it last year in june. The phone I had the longest was the nokia 5300, the tiny slider phone that came in purple or black trim, i had that thing for a little over 2 years before it finally started dying on me lol.

Once my brother shows up here sometimes today I will have a brand new vibrant.

14. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

Just buy a new device.

15. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

I make the best of what I have or get something else.

16. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Right now, I fired up my Droid Eris again. No phone connection, just on Wifi to check on the apps. This phone has been universally condemned for having no plans in getting an Android 2.2 update.

Yet, with Android 2.1 and the latest OTA patch, the phone still feels surprisingly and pleasantly responsive, while my MyTouch 3G, which has the same processor, and now has Android 2.2.1, feels like a pig. Before the last bug fixing update, the Droid Eris had some issues just after its Android 2.1 update, and with the last bug fix, the system software has reached an equilibrium where you don't really want to mess with it.

I suspect, if you are on a high end Android phone, or one that is buggy, you probably have more reasons to belch if you got no upgrade. But on low end Androids, updating the OS may bring problems on hardware that is a tight fit. OTA bug fixes are not an issue, as these are often issued without requiring an OS update. If you have a reliable and satisfactory experience with your phone on its current OS version, meaning you have achieved an experience equilibrium, an update has the potential to screw it up, e.g. Android Market disappearing with the Froyo update.

17. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

eITHER 2 OR 4 WILL GENERALLY BE MY GO TO ANSWERS i THINK!

18. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Root. Sprint Hero was lost in the shuffle for 2.2 but the developers have been awesome for the Hero. AOSP roms for 2.2.1 and now 2.2.1 with HTC Sense.