Last Updated: Apr 23,2010
You can just do it on the phone, either with DroidRootPro or manually by downloading the file and following instructions to flash it via a terminal emulator.
You can also use ROM Manager as a quick way to install SP Recovery (listed under "Flash Alternate Recovery"). I created scripts to go back and forth between SP and Clockwork using Gscript only because I switch back and forth so often.
The sbf file will work on my phone? And also it says something about checking to make sure it's the right hash or something like that and only gives Linux and Windows directions.
Where is ROM Manager? And I can do this on a 2.1 Droid for sure?
Are you rooted? If you are then ROM Manager is available in the Market. If not you'll either need a PC or you'll have to set up a boot camp partition on your Mac. There is no other way to flash an SBF file.
Why can't you just follow the Linux directions using OS X's terminal?
I didn't know I could follow Linux directions lol I just got this Macbook the other day, Sorry. And no I am not rooted I'm on the official 2.1 OTA
The RSD Lite portions require that you run Windows.
The MD5 check, you could probably run on Mac, though it's only a check to make sure the file was not corrupt in the download.
As for the actual rooting part, that's all done via adb, so that should be operating system agnostic.
HAHA sorry I'm a noob I'm so confused. Can you give me a summary of what I should do?
Yea, like Fabo said you need to have a windows machime or use boot camp to rum RSD Lite. Once that is done you can use any OS to finish the rest.
1. If you can, try to check the md5, make sure it matches what is posted. That way you know your file is good.
2. Somehow get Windows (either via VM or boot camp), install Droid drivers, install RSD Lite, flash the .SBF file
3. Since you're in windows anyways, install the Android SDK (all you really need is adb), follow the instructions in the thread on how to install the superuser files to get root.
I don't have Windows to put on my Mac
:-( I wish this was possible. UGH!!
You really can't get your hands on a PC in any way? Borrow a friend/family computer for half an hour? What did you use before you got this Macbook?
If all else fails, look into free alternatives. I have never tried RSD Lite under ReactOS but you could always test it out! Of course, if it fails you'll have to get to a Windows PC and flash the SBF again to fix whatever ReactOS screwed up.
Lol I'll figure it out. So it really is pretty much impossible on a Mac?
Yes. RSD Lite is a Windows-only program and you need RSD Lite to get root.
1) Get access to a Windows PC
2) Install a Windows partition on your Mac with Boot Camp (recommended cause you'll probably end up needing another Windows program eventually and it's good to have your bases covered)
3) Use a virtual machine (not really recommended cause peripherals don't usually tend to work the same through a VM and I can't guarantee the flashing process will go properly)
4) Use Darwine to run RSD Lite (REALLY NOT RECOMMENDED. You're basically playing Russian Roulette as to whether or not your phone will be usable if you do this )
Separate names with a comma.