How do you install to the SD card?

Last Updated:

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want to have Marketplace apps in the SD card. I'm rooted. Thanks =)

Advertisement
  2. Fenga Papit

Fenga Papit Banned

Which ROM do you have? Your title says "install" but do you mean you want to just move the apps to your SD card?

3. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Fresh, I believe:confused:

4. bearq3114

bearq3114 Member

i want to know the same thing i have stock rom and sprint bloatware deleted

5. Fenga Papit

Fenga Papit Banned

Thanks Andy!

GatorDeb, if you are running a Fresh ROM then you have the Apps2sd application already installed with the ROM. But you will need to partition your SD card so Apps2sd can use that partition to move apps to your SD.

Geekforme, the site that Flipz (the dev that writes the Fresh Rom's) includes the following instructions to properly partition your SD card. Just follow the simple instructions and you will be fine. Be sure you copy everything on your SD card to a temp folder on your computer desktop since partitioning your SD card will wipe it clean. After partitioning you can just copy everything in the temp folder you made on your computer desktop back to your SD card

Here you go:

Here is the link to geekforme in case you need it in the future. Flipz also describes a way to make sure Apps2sd is working, in case you are curious. :)

FAQ: Apps2sd Information

If you want to take advantage of moving your apps to your SD card, you will likely need to flash a different ROM first. The stock ROM does not have Apps2sd built in. You could install Apps2sd as an independent app but I don't know how well it works with the stock ROM.

Unless you are running CyanongenMod 6 for your ROM, you can use the above method I quoted. It mentions the Fresh ROM in the instructions but that deson't really matter because it will partition your SD card regardless of your ROM and therefore you can use the same method. Again, you do NOT use this method if you are running CM6.

6. bearq3114

bearq3114 Member

if i install cm6 how do i do it

7. andygu3

Look at the 'Setting up CM6' thread

8. GatorDeb

Thanks off to try it now :) I installed too many apps and ran out of space lol Yep I have Fresh! (I tried CM6 and didn't have the Marketplace and instead of messing with gapps and fixing it I just used Fresh and it worked out of the box).

9. GatorDeb

What do you mean by "convert ext2 to ext3?
    Off to figure out how to boot into recovery :)

10. GatorDeb

Ok I press vol down then reboot then select Home for recovery menu then partition menu, there's an option to format card but NOWHERE to select all those options, all it does is format the card. And when I did the ext it said it couldn't find appstosd, and I don't remember seeing it on the phone. Sigh.

11. GatorDeb

Ok so what it says is no appstosd PARTITION found. How do I actually partition? Can't see it on the menus.

12. GatorDeb

So I manually downloaded and installed apps2sd and partitioned the SD card (half and half, 985.5 each, have a 2 gigger for now) and then I went into recovery to do the ext2 to ext3 but it said no apps2sd partition found. And restarting apps2sd says it seems the card is not partitioned correctly. So the partitioning is not taking. Going to need a bit more help with this :( How do people manage with just the memory on the phone for apps?!?!

13. Noidfloyd

Noidfloyd Member

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] APPS 2 SD CARD
    You can move applications to your SD Card without having to partition your card with Froyo 2.2. First, go into CyanogenMod Settings>Application Settings> and check the box 'Allow application moving'. Press 'install location' and choose 'External'.

14. GatorDeb

So this is going to be a lot easier if I have CM6? A link to a good file that has the marketplace not missing?

15. Noidfloyd

Noidfloyd Member

Deb if you have CM6 installed, do the following.., go into CyanogenMod Settings>Application Settings> and check the box 'Allow application moving'. Press 'install location' and choose 'External'.

16. GatorDeb

I don't have it installed. Tried it and it was missing the marketplace so I went with Fresh. Do you have a link to a good CM6 build with the marketplace instact?

17. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

You have to flash the gapps after you flash the rom. that is just how it is done.

TeamDouche Mirror System

There is the link for the .zip file.

18. Fenga Papit

Fenga Papit Banned

OK, after reading your follow-up posts I think I know why you are having problems partitioning your card to use with Apps2sd. However, if you want to give CM6 a try then the last thing you want to do is partition your SD card at all because you only have a 2GB and CM6 doesn't need a partition to move your apps to the SD.

To get market, all you do is download the gapps file and flash it from recovery like you would a ROM. The gapps file is small and flashes/installs quickly and easily. You then reboot and you have the market. No complex bending and rubbing your tummy while patting the top of your head required!

First though you need to install CM6 again. Go to this thread and follow the instructions. http://androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/184286-setting-up-cm6.html

Instead of downloading and installing the CM6 ROM that Andy has in the first part of that thread though I would suggest downloading and installing the newest nightly build of CM6. You can get that here: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=heroc&type=nightly Build #74 at the top is the newest one as I post this.

Just download the file and flash it from recovery like any other ROM. Next do the gapps. From there you can read through the rest of the tips and tricks, including step-by-step instructions to quickly and easily move and install your apps to your SD card. Trust me, it is screw-up proof.

Andy's thread is very complete and easy to follow and covers everything you need along with tips and tricks. He also included the part I wrote on transferring and installing your apps to your SD card with CM6.

I started out after rooting with a Fresh ROM and flashed other Fresh ROMs as they came out. Even donated to Flipz for all his hard work, so I know and really like fresh ROMs. Having said that, I like CM6 much better than any ROM from Flipz so far. Both ROMs are good but Flipz writes great Sense ROMs that have tweaks but none are as customizable or tweakable as CM6. Performance is much better with CM6 too. Ir's faster and quicker along with tweaks and several different kernels you can flash to add a little more speed to your phone plus get awesome battery life. The kernels are just downloaded and flashed from recovery like any other zip file for your phone.

If you have any problems or questions, post them here so we can help you.

19. GatorDeb

Ok going to give CM6 a try. I'm not a noob but I'm not advanced either. What do you mean exactly by "flashing from recovery" ? Do I just run the apk? And I do ALL those gapps?

20. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

21. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

boot into your recovery screen. if you have rom manager you can do it from there or just hold menu and the call button to get to your recovery screen.

flash from zip then flash your file

once you flash the gapps it installs everything dealing with google apps

22. GatorDeb

Well I tried to flash from zip from the recovery menu and it told me the cm6 zip was bad so it aborted it. I got the one from the top of the list :(

23. GatorDeb

My fault.... recopying file.

24. GatorDeb

Ok, did gapps, rebooting :) Do I need apps2sd with cm6 also? I held an app down and I didn't get the Move to SD option.

25. andygu3