How do you know which kernel to choose?

Last Updated:

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I made a thread the other day about rooting. I was going to wait until some kind of comparable 2.2 came out, but I was over there looking at the ROM generator, and it looks so neat. Maybe I'll try it now (still kind of scared).

But the first section is so confusing. I wouldn't know which one to choose, and although it's kind of been explained to me, I still don't quite know what a kernel is.

I also have a question about the launcher. If I choose launcher pro (beta) will that be my ONLY launcher on the phone, no underlying android launcher? I always feel kind of silly having 2 launchers on my phone, like I'm wasting space, but I love LPB.

Is this going to wipe all my data? Will I have to reinstall all of my apps? What about my contacts? Will I still be able to sync them from my google account? My calendar as well?

Also, can I not install the stock browser and just use dolphin? I'm so nervous!

Advertisement
  2. my1zamboni

my1zamboni Well-Known Member

OK, first off don't be scared. I was too, and now I am addicted to new ones. First I would go to this link and follow his directions
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-mo...t-2-1-rooting-video-walkthrough-tutorial.html
    He took the time to make a great step by step video and you just follow along it couldn't be easier.
    When he has you drop a Kernal on your SD card, instead of using the one in the package, use the one you made in the kitchen.
    The top part depends on if you want wireless or not (I use it and love it) just pick one with wireless support. If you aren't sure what a specific thing does, either ask or don't use it, that is how I went about it.
    You can have as many launchers as you want, I believe it gives you the option to also keep the stock one. I still have the stock one on the phone but only use launcher pro. With this you will have a problem with 3d gallery just go to this link and follow the directions and it will fix it.
    LauncherPro issues with 3d gallery
    Mine wiped data the first time, but you will get contacts back and calander back when you log into the market and google.
    As far as apps go I use MY Backup Pro available on the market (there is a free one also) so you can back up apps, call log, sms messages etc.
    As far as browser you can use whatever one you want, you can leave stock and still use dolphin. It is a matter of opinion.
    Good luck.
    There are a lot of great people on this forum willing to help.
    I asked a lot, read a lot and said thank you a lot. People are nice and helpful here.

K-Rizzle likes this.
  3. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. I was just watching a video. I don't have win rar though, so I have to DL it...

4. my1zamboni

my1zamboni Well-Known Member

it's a free download and simple to use.
    I didn't have it either but downloaded so that everything looked the same on my computer asit did in the video.
    I was scared at first too, afraid I would ruin my phone, but it is simple to do, just follow the video, I get great battery life now I also use Juice defender an older version 1.3 I think because I read in some thread it was the best. I can get it later and post it if you need me to. Plus I love getting rid of all the crap that came with the phone as well as being able to use it as a wireless for my laptop.
    Just follow the video and it will all work out in the end.
    The only thing you will do different than the video is the part in video 2 when he has you drop the zip on your sd card you won't take it from the rootpack folder, you will use the one you built in the kitchen.
    Good luck

K-Rizzle likes this.