How do you like the Eris?General

Last Updated:

1. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not an Android user, not yet at least. I plan on getting the Evo in a few weeks. But this question is regarding my girlfriend.

She is ready for an upgrade and she is looking for a phone that she can browse the web on. Besides that I don't think she's looking for anything too fancy. She's on Verizon, so I thought of either the Palm Pre or Droid Eris. Pre's a little cheaper right now (and specced better I think), but Android looks to be more stable than WebOS. Also, since I plan to get an Android phone too, I'd be able to help her out with the Eris more than the Pre. So my question is, do you all like the Eris? Do you think I should suggest that to her?

A few details...
    -Battery life isn't too big a deal for her. She has an old Razr that is on its last legs. The phone works, but the battery is no good, she charges it 4 times a day sometimes, so even a new phone with "bad battery life" will probably be an upgrade.

-She's impressed with my current phone (old Blackberry Curve 8330), so I think it's safe to say she's not the biggest tech geek in the world, and probably wouldn't need a Droid or Increible.

Advertisement
  2. bkle44

bkle44 Active Member

I love the Eris. I use it for FB, email, web browsing and texting and some of the apps on the market. This was my first smart phone so it was a big jump for me but it was really easy to learn and I picked up on it really quick so I don't think it will be a problem for your gf either. I think it's a nice phone and honestly I would never pick a palm over this phone mostly because I think palms are confusing and a bit boring. But that's my my thoughts..

3. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

The Eris is a solid phone and she'll love it. So will you, you'll be jealous. Don't show her these forums, you'll not have relations for a while. Find some great apps for her interests too.

4. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

I love the Eris. I personally upgraded to an Incredible, but we still have two Eris in the house. It feels very nice in the hand. It has some issues, my biggest complaint was a distinct lag in the dialer. But overall it's a great phone. I don't think you will go wrong choosing the Eris over the Pre.

5. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

When my trackball isn't scrolling all the way to the left, rendering my phone unusable, I give the Eris a 7 out of 10. Now that 2.1 has been rolled out, I'm going to return my phone, and hopefully the trackball issue will be resolved.

6. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks all, part of my concern was that it wasn't as "loaded" as the Droid or Incredible, but i wasn't sure if that meant the phone was sluggish or not, but it appears it isn't.

Her plan is all sorts of messed up, and she pays way more than she should for a Razr per month. She doesn't currently have a data plan, yet she pays more than she would with the standard smartphone plan. So, perhaps I could get her a much better phone, and lower her bill, and be a hero. Then I should get relations regardless if she finds these forums or not ;)

7. isherwood

isherwood Well-Known Member

Considering I paid $30, it's been great. I can do everything I want to with it, including tethering to my laptop at 2-4Mbit. I'd love to have a stronger processor, but I don't have $200 or more to throw at that little problem.

I've found it laggy on occasion, but I'm usually patient enough that it's no big deal. I just hope it doesn't lag severely when I need to make that once-in-a-lifetime 911 call.

The display and sound quality are great, and the apps market is really fantastic. I haven't paid for a single app yet.

8. Terry4505

Terry4505 Active Member

I liked it enough to switch to the Droid Incredible the first chance I got.