How do you monitor processor temp?

Last Updated:

1. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did a search on this, but can't come up with a good answer. I'm running BB1.1 at 1.2Ghz. Yes, my Droid gets hot, but it also got hot before I rooted. I work out of the office all day and rely on my Droid to stream Rhapsody, Air1 and DroidLive as well as some long phone calls. The heat generated has never caused a *problem*, but I sure don't want to create one either.

So, I'm wondering, how hot is too hot; and, what is the best way to keep an eye on it?

Thanks all.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

In short I dont. I trust the profiles I have set in setcpu to do their job and clock down when things get too hot. Im pretty sure the droids processor is rated at 90c and I know that the battery is rated at 60c. My profile is set to drop the speed if I hit 45c which I rarely if ever do.

From what I have read if you actually do get the droid too hot it will just reboot anyway so I dont think there is a whole lot of cause for concern unless you are regularly over 50c

3. Theshape

Theshape Well-Known Member

TempMonitor its in the market

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

SetCPU also has an option to monitor and display CPU temp and does a reliable job. I have had my Droid run hot for long periods of time (especially while using the NAV functions while driving). I have never had a problem.

5. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys! I'll download and install the setcpu app today.

6. shrink57

When you install the setcpu widget you will be presented with an option screen. The first option is "Use CPU Temperature."

7. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

I use the Temp Monitor program in the market as well. I also have the setcpu widget set up too.

The great thing about setcpu that was mentioned is that you can set profiles so if it gets to hot it will "throttle" the speed down.

I'm not sure though how well setcpu works with BB though.

8. shrink57

I've used setcpu with BB and no problems (I think Pete addressed the previous issues in the last couple of releases).

9. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

Remember with 1.1 he does the overclocking for you, so I'm not sure how SetCPU will continue to work with BB. (I'm sure it plays fine now, but in the future when less and less people use it)

10. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I have temp monitor refresh in my top bar every one minute.
    In the car the other day it got to 154F!!! So I took it off and put it near the A/C to cool off. Once I start to get to 135F I watch out.
    I like to know and it's a good way to figure out which apps may heat up a ton and so forth when troubleshooting.
    Nick

11. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I've seen my temps go above 60C. That's while I'm driving with Nav and Pandora on, while the phone is right under the sun.

No problems though :D

As for SetCPU & Temp Monitor, those are two apps I use religiously. They're really great.

12. shrink57

When driving I always remove the battery cover which helps keep the temperature within a tolerable range (not that I am afraid my Droid will spontaneously combust). I do the same for those long Homerun Battle sessions.

Rodeojones and Fabolous like this.
  13. Fabolous

Great suggestion! I'll be doing this for my 5 hour trip down to Lexington today.

14. shrink57

In my car I have a soft Styrofoam holder that sits in my cup holder that allows my phone to remain upright. With the battery cover off the phone remains ventilated.

15. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

SetCPU and TempMonitor are essential for all rooted users. And like Fab I've had temps get to or slightly above 60C but only while using Pandora AND Nav while driving. If I know I'll be doing something that makes the phone prone to high temps I'll often scale down my profiles (another great thing about SetCPU). I drove 5 hours to Bemidji, MN last weekend while running Pandora and Nav, so I scaled down to 500Mhz (closest to the 550Mhz we had while stock). My temp never got above 58C. I'll have to try removing the battery cover in the future!

16. altimax98

altimax98 Well-Known Member

I almost always hit 50c surfing the web and whatnot... But ive also had Plenty of reboots in the middle of a temp spike, so atleast i know my failsafe is working :p

17. EAK128

EAK128 Well-Known Member

Same here, while driving and having Pandora and Navigation running, sometimes even youtube, on a sunny day, Temp gets to the 60s. I turn the A/C on in the car and direct one of the vents towards the phone, which helps. Gonna try the cover pull also. I have noticed that when it's running that hot the charger can't keep up with the battery drain.

18. Fabolous

Yeah...this happened during my trip today. My 'Battery Life' widget usually says my battery condition is 'good' but while I was driving today, it was 'overheated', and it cut off the charge. I realized this when I looked at my battery meter and it was at 60% :mad:

Anyways, I just took it off my car dock and somewhere shaded, and that fixed it all up.

On a side note, my amplifier also overheated during my trip. I was very frustrated.

19. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

In the words of Montell Jordan...This is how we do it ;)

Modified Universal Car Mount from Office Max...fitted with magnet and that plastic ring is a spacer so the phone sits flush.
    [​IMG]

Sits nicely in front of a cold air supply with the vent clips...no overheating here! :eek:
    [​IMG]

Looks cool too right? :p
    [​IMG]