How do you move apps to sd card

Last Updated:

1. kcb840

kcb840 New Member This Topic's Starter

Been trying to figure out how to save all my apps, and everything else (pics,music, etc) to the sd card to free up space on internal memory, can someone help me out plz.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

For apps to be stored and run from a ext2/ext3/ext4 partition of the SDCard ...
    The phone needs to be rooted ...

The Build i use will automatically use Apps2SD if when the Cyanogen build is flashed to the phone ..it finds any ext partition...

I am not sure about the MT3G rooting procedure ... but do a search in this forum or at xda-developers ...

3. Mormegil

Mormegil Well-Known Member

2 steps

1) Root your phone. The 1 click Root solution worked well on my MyTouch 3G (used the Cyanogen 4.0.1 rom)

2) Partition your SD card to have an EXT2 partition - 500MB to 1GB should be fine. I would suggest getting a faster SD card than the stock one. I picked up a 16GB class 6 (fastest) for $50 on NewEgg.

Link to root your phone: Android Rooting in 1-click (limited time only… until it gets patched)

Info on how to partition your SD card:

Get a way to type in Terminal mode while in Recovery:
    Either pay 2 bucks to get Better Terminal Pro @ Cyrket - Better Terminal Emulator Pro
    or download and install the AnroidSDK onto a computer you haven't yet plugged your phone into (to install the correct drivers) @ Download the Android SDK | Android Developers

Android SDK lets you input commands to the Terminal via your computer keyboard in a shell. The other one I suppose gives you a keyboard in the Recovery console (I found out about this after I did the SDK route).

Then follow these instructions on partitioning an SD card: [REF] manual partition of sdcard w/parted,goto ext3/4 from adb. no liveCD req'd - xda-developers