How do you move back and forward within text on soft keyboard

Last Updated:

1. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry for the newb question. Of course you can tap in the right spot, but that is not very accurate. The d-pad on the hard keyboard works of course, but what about on the soft keyboard?

Advertisement
  2. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Tap more accurately. ;)

3. CC556

CC556 Member

Tapping accurately is the only method I've found so far. I do miss the magnifying lens of my iPhone for this.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you just have to try to tap in the correct spot. I find it quite difficult to get it right, but if I really need to, I just use the physical keyboard and the D-Pad. I'm starting to like it more every day.

5. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

+1.

It's surprising that there isn't something similar on Android. It's actually fairly annoying.

6. Tekmazter

Tekmazter Member

I've seen on another forum that someone has ported over the virtual keyboard from an HTC device which has this ability. I guess the resolution on the keyboard isn't too hot, but it's supposed to be a heck of a lot easier to type on when trying to reposition the cursor.

I'm sure someone will come out with something like this on the market place before long.

7. bruceo

bruceo Well-Known Member

C&P on android is defininitely worst in calss compared to all other smartphones at the moment. Droid complicates this with a terrible Dpad. But the trackball on the HTC android phones seems like the best solution to the cursor placement and browsing. It has fine movement, accessible in landscape and portrait and accomplishes almost everything you can with a Dpad but in a fraction of the space. Dpad is very nice for games but not if it is on the right side of the device.... just ********....

8. rvonder

rvonder Well-Known Member

I just made the jump to the Droid from a Samsung Omnia on WM 6.5. Since that phone has no hard keyboard, we all tried lots of different soft keyboards to find one that seemed to work best. For me, that ended up being TouchPal, from Cootek. You could flip between qwerty, T9, and phonepad layouts with a left or right swipe, and the predictive text really worked well because it automatically added new words to its dictionary the first time you used them. You could also save longer phrases like email addresses, and insert them easily into your text.

But the best part was a button that brought up a special editing keyboard. It has a dpad in the center, surrounded by keys for selecting, cutting, pasting, etc. It even has a 'deletet forward' key, in addition to the 'destructive backspace' key we have on the Droid. This editing keyboard completely eliminates the problems mentioned in this thread.

I don't mention this just to tease you: Cootek is doing an Android port, and already offered a free beta on the Market site that's now gone in anticipation of a real release. I've been using the beta (if you look around it can still be found), but the beta doesn't have some of the best features yet, like the editing mode.

So keep your eyes out for TouchPal when it's released, and maybe drop feedback to Cootek if you're interested... maybe it'll prod them to get the product done for Android faster. I know that I'd be able to type and edit much faster if I still had it!

9. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

yeah i miss the G1 track ball. I wish there was some kind of app that puts a on-screen d-pad to use with everything